Banana wine.

OK, you may think "what the f...flipping heck am I on??   I've been doing this wine for years, I first came across it through an old farmer who had me try a glass....I was 20/21 at the time..

WOW, it was out of this world,  it took me years to find a recipe, no internet back then, but just in case someone may like to give it a go here goes....

2.5 kg bananas very ripe, (brown spots on them.)

4.5 Lts water.

1kg sugar.

1/4 Tsp tannin, or a cold cup of strong tea,  but the skins have tannin in them and I've made this with & without, up to you.

3 Tsp lemon juice.

1/2 Tsp Pectin,   just in case???

Yeast Nutrient tablet,  now this time I'm going to boil a couple of spoons of yeast for 15 mins and use that

Last but most important...wine yeast.

Method

1. Bring half of the water to a boil in the large stockpot. Whilst the water is heating up slice the bananas including the skins and secure in the straining bag. Submerge the straining bag in the boiling water and simmer gently for 30 minutes.

2. After simmering for 30 minutes remove the pot from the heat. Lift out the straining bag with the bananas and set to one side for a moment. Pour the liquid from the pot into a sanitised fermenting bucket and then add the straining bag with the bananas as well.

3. Take the remaining half of the water and add to the stockpot with the sugar. Heat to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar and prevent from burning. Simmer for a few minutes, remove from the heat and then add this to the fermenter. Along with this add the lemon, tannin?? and yeast nutrient. Allow to cool to room temperature.

4. After at least 12 hours add the pectic enzyme and mix thoroughly. 24 hours after adding the pectic enzyme add the yeast by sprinkling onto the surface of the must, fit a lid and airlock. Fermentation will begin a few days after this.

5. Allow fermentation to progress for a week stirring daily, after this remove the straining bag and the remains of the banana. Leave for a further 3 days and the fermentation should have died down completely. At this point, you can syphon the banana wine into a demijohn or carboy, fit with a bung and airlock.

6. Allow the wine to condition in the demijohn for 3 – 4 months racking to a sanitised dj once or twice after sediment builds up.

7. After conditioning, for at least 4 months or up to 6 you are ready to bottle the wine. You may want to sample the banana wine and sweeten it a little...banana wine will keep improving with age up to a couple of years. I opened a bottle at 9 months and it was almost a liquor....too the point Rosemary won't let me have any...  t0348.gif

This was the last one I did, I must admit it looks like dirty bathwater, don't let that fool you.

banana.jpg.3abb281d5579512ffe9fd614cf5856a9.jpg

From the date, this was 2013.

20130728_061503.thumb.jpg.5e9ded28773f8ef5dfd684f7930c2096.jpg

A glorious 2014.

1356286761_banana2014.thumb.jpg.fe99ee82828fe1b0423249ed33027285.jpg

Ice.

• Like 1