Offset smoker build

Redbeck

Hi everyone. 

I recently purchased a 200L Air compressor tank from ebay with a view/dream of building an offset smoker. 

My question is about the firebox. 

Does it have to be fabricated out of steel?? Or will an old cast iron woodburning stove do the job if it was connected/welded to the cooking chamber correctly?? 

And obviously if it was the correct size for my size chamber. 

TIA

Redbeck hi & welcome to the forum, anything is possible,  do you have photos of both the tank and the stove??.  Cast iron is not that easy to work with compared to steel, it would be better bolted to the tank rather than welded. Cast iron is difficult, but not impossible, to weld,  if you have the kit to weld why not use an old gas bottle??? you can find them in the local adds for a tenner....just my 2 cents.

Ice.

Hi guys and thanks for the response. 

As far as gas bottles go for a firebox, I'm after something a bit more substantial. I've been on the mentioned website before and found it very useful. Basically I need about a 500mm cube as my firebox. About the same size as a decent stove!! Bolting it to the cooking chamber is a good idea as I've got a mate who said don't even bother trying to weld it, especially if it's old. 

I'll keep my eye out, it could double up as a hotplate for my frying pan!! Endless cooking possibilities... 

Might be quite a bit of work involved in hanging an old CI stove off your cylinder. The stoves are obviously very heavy and that weight is designed to go down through the legs/feet to the floor. The walls of a CI stove are generally quite thin and I could forsee problems with a bolted on mounting cracking or even breaking out if knocked or leant upon. On the plus side, there are a few stove manufacturers that make theirs from steel which would happily weld into place, but that makes your search a little bit harder.

• Thanks 1