Woodsmoke Amatuer of the Year - Weekend No.2

goldencrunchs

Hey guys! 

Some of you know me, some don’t. Got into smoking last weekend, had some funny failures with my Landmann Kentucky offset smoker! Regardless of whether my lamb got finished in the oven, we had some fun and even more laughs when we realised I wasn’t using my charcoal grill!

Anyway, here’s weekend 2. My self adhesive stove rope has arrived, I’ve got some Weber briquettes, and a chimney charcoal starter now. Today I try a whole chicken and a whole fish! Wish me luck.

and ofcourse it wouldn’t be a post from me without a question. I have lumpwood and briquettes, do I use a bit of both... or? 

Thanks guys!

Tal

Last part it's up to you....lump or briquettes??? lump is supposed to  run hotter??? but both will do the job.

Now whole chicken?? make sure you get a temp probe into the thigh meat....otherwise, you may finish up with slightly undercooked chuck.

Fish?? we do fish, t'other weekend I did a sea bass and it took about 45 mins on the temp I had left at the time.......soooooo be very careful with the cooking time.....chicken will take longer, when you get close to the IT temp on the chuck bang your fish in .....what fish are you doing??

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

Just now, goldencrunchs said:

So the coal goes on the bottom grate?

2138DD44-B194-49FD-952B-F2DF0B726070.jpeg

Yes.....bottom is for the coals.....the top one is for cooking if you want direct heat.....the odd burger, sausage,  what ever......if you don't intend to use the top grill take it out for now..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goldencrunchs said:

I think there might be a slight bug on this forum where in the email about a reply it shows the second to last thing somebody said rather than the last haha

Not sure matey....I don't have the email notify on.....I just leave the laptop on and it bleeps with anyone posts.

Ice.

1 minute ago, goldencrunchs said:

He does indeed haha! Is there a temp to aim for with the sea brass or just put it on for about an hour?

Work on that.....I do mine in a double layer of foil.....take a look at 30 /35 mins and see what it's like . 

Ice.