Hi All

Nick1298

No vents or gaps underneath at all? When you put the charcoal pan in place is there a gap all round it where air can enter the smoker?

2-Charcoal-Bowl.thumb.jpg.08e7ac5ba6ed5d204f5ac52f9c776fbd.jpg

From what you describe it sounds as if there is insufficient air reaching the coals. If this is similar to yours then we can suggest a few mods that you can try.

3 hours ago, Wade said:

No vents or gaps underneath at all? When you put the charcoal pan in place is there a gap all round it where air can enter the smoker?

2-Charcoal-Bowl.thumb.jpg.08e7ac5ba6ed5d204f5ac52f9c776fbd.jpg

From what you describe it sounds as if there is insufficient air reaching the coals. If this is similar to yours then we can suggest a few mods that you can try.

Not much of one no. I can obviously leave the door latch open but that doesn’t sound like it’s really enough...

Yes I thought the was a vent on bottom too. Make a it difficult to adjust. Maybe weld on a long handle to vent to make adjusting easier. It would explain the lack of temp if that vent was closed. It says a damper on amazon description which is another word for vent. Look at bottom........

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Yes I thought the was a vent on bottom too. Make a it difficult to adjust. Maybe weld on a long handle to vent to make adjusting easier. It would explain the lack of temp if that vent was closed. It says a damper on amazon description which is another word for vent. Look at bottom........

Yeah I’m going to check when I get home but I’m almost certain there isn’t one on the bottom. The damper is on top I believe

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

An air dumper flap and 2 doors help to control the air flow inside the cooker and can be opened and closed to help control and regulate the air going through in order to increase or reduce the cooking temperature

So basically I need to use the doors as well...

• Like 1

Ok the opening at top should always be left fully open and the open door by degrees to achieve temp. You do not need much of a gap for temp to rise. It is about adjusting flow. On Weber Smokey mountain. Which has three air vents I use a pencil on all three to start with. That gives me a base point the I adjust to achieve target temp range. Typical 110 to 120c.  Try setting it up. The work out a base point from doors for future ref and adjust from there. Base point is not always same of course due to Atmospheric cconditions and is sun shining on BBQ for instance. 

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Ok the opening at top should always be left fully open and the open door by degrees to achieve temp. You do not need much of a gap for temp to rise. It is about adjusting flow. On Weber Smokey mountain. Which has three air vents I use a pencil on all three to start with. That gives me a base point the I adjust to achieve target temp range. Typical 110 to 120c.  Try setting it up. The work out a base point from doors for future ref and adjust from there. Base point is not always same of course due to Atmospheric cconditions and is sun dying on now for instance. 

Will give it a go. I’ll post the result once I’ve tried! Thanks

• Thanks 1

The top air dumper flap I think is your flue so you need airflow from doors to make it work properly. Experiment until you get confidence. Try come to a tailgate and we can have a good look at it if you still stuck after the advice here

Ok?

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

Before you go drilling holes in the unit let us try to identify the problem first without damaging it.

The first thing to try is to raise up the coals from the bottom of the ban. To do this find a piece of wire mesh (a cheap cake cooling rack cut to size is fine) and bend it so that the mesh id about a cm above the base of the bowl. Put on a chimney of lit coals but leave a small gap at one side of the mesh to allow air to get underneath. Locate this gap nearest to the bottom door.

Make sure that the top vent is fully open

Firstly, keep the bottom door closed and see what temperature you reach inside.

If you still don't reach the required temperature crack open the bottom door about 1 cm and seal the top and side gaps of the door with tinfoil. Just leave the bottom gap open. See if this causes the temperature to increase.

If this does not work then we move on to plan B, which will involve drilling holes.

29 minutes ago, Wade said:

Another basic question I did not ask !!! How are you measuring the temperature? Is it using the gauge that is in the lid?

Yes it is! I think there are a number of things I need to do differently next time - mostly using unlit charcoal as I only used one chimney of lit charcoal the first time round 

The built in thermometers are notoriously inaccurate so do not rely on it. You are best to buy a dual prove digital thermometer that will give you accurate temperature readings in the smoker and also inside the meat as it smokes/cooks. We cook almost everything by temperature.

One standard chimney of fully lit charcoal should have been sufficient. Is it a small or standard/large chimney? The standard/large ones are ~25-30 cm tall and about 17 cm in diameter.

Link to an inexpensive digital thermometer. There are others to choose from with more functionality and we can also point you in their direction too.

Inkbird IBT2X

2 minutes ago, Wade said:

The built in thermometers are notoriously inaccurate so do not rely on it. You are best to buy a dual prove digital thermometer that will give you accurate temperature readings in the smoker and also inside the meat as it smokes/cooks. We cook almost everything by temperature.

One standard chimney of fully lit charcoal should have been sufficient. Is it a small or standard/large chimney? The standard/large ones are ~25-30 cm tall and about 17 cm in diameter.

Link to an inexpensive digital thermometer. There are others to choose from with more functionality and we can also point you in their direction too.

Inkbird IBT2X

Thanks very much. Yes it was a large Weber chimney. In fairness, I butterflied a whole chicken and cooked it on there - took it off after 3 hours and it was pretty much cooked - just had to stick it in the oven for 5 minutes just to get the legs to temp - so there must have been at least a small amount of heat. The pork shoulder I was cooking however was quite raw in the middle after 4 hours 

11 minutes ago, Nick1298 said:

I butterflied a whole chicken and cooked it on there - took it off after 3 hours and it was pretty much cooked - just had to stick it in the oven for 5 minutes just to get the legs to temp

That confirms that the smoker was above 100 F (38 C) so the thermometer must be VERY wrong.