Perfect 'Poached' Salmon

Justin

• 2 pieces skin on salmon fillet or steaks each about 140g to 170 g
  • 1/2 recipe fish brine (1 full recipe is 3 cups cold water, 1 cup kosher salt, 3 tbsp sugar, heat and stir until dissolved and then leave to cool 
  • 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil

1. Place salmon is medium no reactive dish or resealable plastic freezer bag. Add brine turning to coat the salmon. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours (see tip at bottom of recipe)
  2. Preheat water bath to desired temp (see tip at bottom of recipe for temperature options)
  3. Remove salmon from bath and pat dry with paper towels. Discard brine.
  4. Brush salmon with oil all over. Wrap each piece desperately in Clingfilm. Place individually in separate sous vide pouches and seal, use delicate setting ((see tip at bottom of recipe). Immerse and cook for 45 minutes (see tip at bottom of recipe if making ahead)
  5. Remove pouches form hot water bath, Open and remove salmon And remove plastic wrap, |Remove skin. Serve immediately on warm plates

Tip Make It the Way You Like It

For soft fancy restaurant texture cook at 51.7 degs c

For a firmer texture cook at 54.4 degs c

For fully cooked salmon like canned salmon for salads etc 60 degs c, Cooking for an hour at this temperature will ensure salmon is fully pasteurised so you can chill it and eat cold

If you plan to grill or otherwise cook the salmon cook in sous vide at ultra-low 43.3 degs c. The initial brine and temperature will set the flesh in the centre so it will not have rawer texture when grilled etc..

Tip. Packing Fish.

If your sealer does not have delicate setting the seal as soon as you see the plastic pouch tightening around the fish.

Tip. More diners.

You can adapt the recipe to the number of guests you are having. Plan on serving one piece of salmon for each diner. Just make sure each serving is in separate sous vide pouch.

Tip. Large piece of salmon.

For salmon more than 2 inches thick add 15 mins to cooking time

Tip. In A Hurry?

If you are in a hurry 30 mins of brining will be enough to keep albumin at bay. The brine firms up the flesh and keeps the unattractive white film of albumin for appearing on the surface of the fish as it cooks. Refrigerate unused brine for up to 1 month. Discard any that has come in to contact with fish.

Packaged up after brine:

20181107_170145.thumb.jpg.aa66cf615144a4e486a52b8543e6f3d8.jpg

• Like 1

Just eaten some at fancy restaurant temp.  Not a looker because I did not bother skillet or blow torch but delicious flavour  and most tender texture.  Did not looked cooked but was consistently all the way through the fillet.

20181107_183106(1).thumb.jpg.d6319edab581923d7c0c7757b6f0aabe.jpg20181107_183101.thumb.jpg.ec97b389cf1cace1b42689f1f25bb3f0.jpg

I rinsed the 3 times before vaccing them as I sensitive to salty taste.  I still think a little salty but ok.  Others would not even notice the salt I am sure. I am sensitive to it an generally avoid brining because of that.

Brining here firms up the flesh  so when you unwrap them carefully they stay together. Important at this texture I just cooked. 

I have never had salmon like this before and it was delicious.

Have just put some more on at 54.4 for lunch tomorrow. will see what difference that makes.