Electric in garage

Justin

Just got quote from local electrician to getting leccy to garage, 40 m cable, three sockets pir sensor two strip led lighting. £545 plus vat.  Who is he kidding?  He did not even say i need a separate fuseboard in the  garage which is regulations. Getting another quote.  For that sort of money sod it I can do it myself, it is not hard

Over the summer I had additional cable installed outside for the hot tub. The electrician mentioned that they prefer to use armoured flex now rather than armoured cable as it is easier to manage. I am not sure that you need a separate fuse board but I know that you need a separate RCD in your existing fuse board. I have two feeds into the garden - one (armoured cable) for the smokery and workshop and the other (armoured flex) for the hot tub. Both use dedicated breakers in my existing breaker box and both are Part P certified.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 8:29 AM, Wade said:

Over the summer I had additional cable installed outside for the hot tub. The electrician mentioned that they prefer to use armoured flex now rather than armoured cable as it is easier to manage. I am not sure that you need a separate fuse board but I know that you need a separate RCD in your existing fuse board. I have two feeds into the garden - one (armoured cable) for the smokery and workshop and the other (armoured flex) for the hot tub. Both use dedicated breakers in my existing breaker box and both are Part P certified.

Fine if coming form RCD but mine isn't as it is at front of house and garage is detached at back of rear garden.  It is to come off back of socket .  Need ot wire it int the socket then run cable to separate fuse board in garage then run triple socket form that  and output to led strip lights.  Should work thinking about it.  Do not want to end up tripping the sockets not least because TV  sky and speakers all go it not hat socket too