Quick Orange Wine

Wade

One wine that I like to keep in stock is my Orange wine. It is quick and inexpensive to make and id drunk straight away.

Ingredients - per gallon (5 litres):

• 1 litre of freshly squeezed orange juice - from the supermarket chiller cabinet. Use the one without preservatives and that does not contain pulp bits.
  • 1 Kg of sugar
  • 1 Tbs high alcohol yeast (this is sufficient for at least 25 litres of wine)
  • Yest Nutrient - if not already included with the yeast
  • pectolase/amylase enzyme (optional)
  • Wine finings to clear the wine

Place the orange juice in a bucket with air tight lid and add 2 litres of water. If using the pectolase/amylase enzyme then add it now and leave for 24 hours for the enzyme to work. The enzyme is not required but it will help you to end up with a clear (non cloudy) wine.

Place the yeast in a tumbler and add about 100ml of lukewarm water and 1 tsp sugar. If the yeast does not contain nutrient then add as directed on the pack.

Add the sugar and then top up with water to the 5 litre mark. Stir until all of the sugar has dissolved.

Ferment with an airlock until the fermentation is complete about 3-4 weeks or until the SG drops to between 1.000 and 0.990

1977815147_InBucket.thumb.jpg.920a523be318a59a2e534f0a4f38b831.jpg

Siphon off the wine into another container, discarding the sediment.

Add the wine finings and leave to settle for 48 hours (or until clear)

Siphon off into clean screw cap wine bottles and seal

Bottle.thumb.jpg.2c1b8b6e6a07d2d4851cc2457d4cba5e.jpg

This is a drinking wine and not for keeping. Allow to "mature" for 4-6 weeks before drinking :beercheer:

I glad that this is not the WOW recipe where orange concentrate is used.  Could never get on with that..... O.o.

If I have time over this very busy weekend I'm going to try that one W..

I don't add sugar to my yeast any more,  I got told off by a good friend of mine who makes gallons of stuff along with mead, cider...he said quote....

"when you pitch, then it does acclimatisation (yeast lag) stage in readiness for fermentation.

Adding sugar @ re-hydration = 2 x acclimatisation = stress = delay or failure "

He also said... "It is a popular misconception they need feed.  Would you eat a full english the second you open your eyes after being asleep for some months"

I must admit  until then I had always used a tsp of sugar,  but he does know what he's on about.....smart arse he is ? but we love him.

Ice.

12 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Would you eat a full English the second you open your eyes after being asleep for some months"

Hehe - if you knew me better you would not ask that question... xD

The funny things is, when bread making I never add sugar to the yeast starter but in wine making I always have done. Next time I will try without :thumb1: