Costco Smoke Hollow 36” grill

Dave

I have no personal experience of it but from the Cosco site it looks to be a very reasonable smoker. The lid seems to fit tightly and the handle to raise the charcoal grate seems good. It also has air vents located at each side which should allow to to create an effective heat gradient. It comes in about the same price as a Weber 57cm Master Touch but it does have a larger cooking area than the Weber.

The brand is unlikely to be Cosco. It will most likely be a re-badged Chinese made smoker.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took delivery of it this afternoon. It took four hours to put together, no thanks to some pretty bizarre instructions, but number four is now ready to go, or at least will be once I’ve put some coals through it to prime it. 

C7D1C302-9001-4134-90E0-847AA0EDFAD0.jpeg

A930D49E-8FCE-4EC4-9E85-37CB27567585.jpeg

Guest homer

looks smart Dave!

You fired her up yet?

I am just about to push the button on the costco Louisiana pellet grill and cold smoker combo to add to the garden man area which is expanding rapidly ?

Edited by homer
spelling

13 hours ago, homer said:

looks smart Dave!

You fired her up yet?

I am just about to push the button on the costco Louisiana pellet grill and cold smoker combo to add to the garden man area which is expanding rapidly ?

Had a look at that yesterday in our local Costco. The only thing that I did not like was the air vent is at the back of the cold smoke box. A bit awkward to adjust.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest homer

well the button was pushed late friday

6 hours total to put together very satisfying 

one thing was all the screws were painted which once assembled left some paint chipped on the heads so bbq paint and a cotton bud dabbed all over them..may be a bit overkill but belt and braces and all that

smoker door is an excellent fit however its metal on metal which will wear on contact points and start the tin worm going so ordered some  self adhesive sealing strip that i used in the past on the weber..more for a soft close than sealing purpose

burnt her off..only takes 15 minutes to get up to temp then seared a couple of pork chops as a little snakette..worked well

then onto some chicken wings, very easy to control the temperature and because it is fan driven a nice even cook with it a little hotter towards the right back

as per other reviews they tend to give less smoke flavor to the food but i will chuck in a smoker tin i have sitting in my desk as work next week to give it a bit more smoke

took her to 500f in less than 30 mins to burn off no problem although it was eating pellets at this temp

really pleased how easy it is to start up, control and get to the food for turning 

serious picee of kit but very heavy, struggled with the box in costco to get it onto the trolley and thought ok bit like lugging a washing machine but doable..then other half points to the "second" box..twice the size and weight, 2 costco staff helped us load it up but was still a struggle so we unpacked it all in the van once home which helped but its still a beast to handle even the components..makes my kamado look like a weight watcher!

first batch of wings done this evening..perfect cooked with crispy skins

couple of costco tomahawk steaks for an easy cook tomorrow..had several tasters while in there and the best steak i have had in years!

other half has finally stopped moaning about the cost now she can see the quality and tucked into the wings tonight

IMAG0356.jpg

Edited by homer
typo

Looks a good bit of kit, would of bought one if I did not have a GMG.

Good idea to put a seal on the door.

To check the temperature across the cooking area, but 6-8 part baked bread rolls, put 4 across the back 200mm in, and 4 across the front same distance in from the front. Cook for the recommended time, then looking at the colour of them will tell you where the hot spots are.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:10 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

To check the temperature across the cooking area, but 6-8 part baked bread rolls, put 4 across the back 200mm in, and 4 across the front same distance in from the front. Cook for the recommended time, then looking at the colour of them will tell you where the hot spots are.

Good idea. You can also use slices of plain white bread

Guest homer

WORD OF WARNING ON COSTCO GRILLS ETC!

contacted the uk importer/distributor  of Louisiana grills as there was a couple of bits missing..nothing major screw and a 14mm washer which i got around anyway, but main reason for contacting them was to ask about changing the PID setings

there response was costco import there grills direct from canada so they have nothing to do with warranties, spare parts or support and suggest taking it back to costco for any problems...ok if its a fan or something but not practical for something of this size or nature 

fingers crossed nothing major goes wrong in the future!

Guest homer

they say as they dont sell the costco "champion" grill thats why they offer no support!

well the champion grill consists of an lg900 grill, cold smoker side cabinet, front stainless steel worktop and a cover...all of which are sold by Louisiana uk as separate items ..real poor service

anyhow  ordered the hopper extension as I am only getting about 4 hours burn with the standard setup..sadly actually ordered it a few days ago before this lack of support thing..if i knew this a few days ago i would have had a sheet metal worker knock one up even if it cost me more than the stock item rather than give Louisiana grills more of my money direct or indirect

if nothing goes wrong with it i think its good value for money at costco but if it goes wrong out of warranty i will have a good long think about buying another make that has proper support in the UK

and when its time to buy a new one Louisiana will deffo not be on my list of possibility's 

Edited by homer
why not

That is always a risk when buying one of the limited time deals that are offered by the cost cutting re-sellers. The UK distributor was right in that that your first point of recourse would have to be Costco under the Consumer Rights Act and if Costco imported them directly from Canada (bypassing the usual UK importer) then any warranty that you have will be whatever was included in the box - presumably with the Canadian manufacturer directly. We used to have similar issues when I was working at a UK boarding school and students would bring in major brand laptops that they had bought whilst they were abroad - usually Hong Kong. If they went wrong whilst in the UK they often had to get them repaired back in Hong Kong as the warranty was not valid in other parts of the world - and local distributors were very reluctant to get involved.

• 2 years later...
On 6/7/2018 at 4:44 AM, Dave said:

Only seasoned it tonight so will fire it up in anger at the weekend. 

Hi Dave, I am in same dilemma with you just 3 years after you. Can you please update if you are still happy with it? OR, Should I go for Weber?

Thanks

6 hours ago, eek said:

Hi Dave, I am in same dilemma with you just 3 years after you. Can you please update if you are still happy with it? OR, Should I go for Weber?

Thanks

Hi, I still have it and it’s still my go to grill. Of course I still love my Weber MasterTouch and would never be without that but the Smoke Hollow is still going strong and is great for the bigger cooks. 

Only thing I would say about it though, even with a cover on it still manages to get lots of rain water in the ash collector and certain parts do start to rust quite easily. And if leaving it covered outside over winter, unless still using it regularly then be prepared to spend a few hours cleaning it every spring as the grates and other areas will get covered in mould. But a bit of elbow grease and fire and I have it all clean and looking like new every year and this past winter I’ve managed to keep it in a shed so it’s remained dry. 

It will most definitely be getting plenty of use for its fourth summer this year though, would definitely recommend it. 

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Curryman said:

Hi, silly question but what's the best way of burning it off from new please?

Literally just fire up a chimney of coals, whack them in, close the lid and open all the vents and let it burn until cold again.

1 minute ago, Curryman said:

Thanks Dave, I've no chimney so just light in the BBQ, open up the front vents and open up the 2 little top vents, close the lid and leave to go out. Is this correct matey?

Yep, exactly that. Then you're good to go.

• 7 months later...

I purchased the Smoke Hollow Grill last year and overall have been very happy with the product.  The Weight, size and build quality is really good for the cost.  The only issue I have is that I feel the gaps between the Charcoal grid are too big and lumps do get lost during the cooking.  I ideally would like to place a perforated grate on top to combat this however i don't know where to purchase this from.  I have seen something from B&Q (Link Below) however i'm not sure if this would stand up to the heat.  

Does anyone else have this issue and what were your workarounds? 

https://www.diy.com/departments/silver-effect-steel-perforated-sheet-h-1000mm-w-500mm-t-0-5mm/254194_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjullX_ztIK4Zt0JtBc0CSAuUaCuo1zFBqleBAC2DNawEmnD-MmQXKIbQaAltOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&storeId=1297