What reasonable price Kamado?

Delart

Hi new to forum and potential Kamado buyer. My son tried to buy me a Aldi Kamado twice for fathers day but both arrived broke and as it is a itch I still want to scratch have been looking for one and found this Boss Grill 18 Inch Charcoal Ceramic Kamado Style Kettle Grill Egg BBQ in Grey with Wooden Shelves and this Kamado Bono Minimo Ceramic Grill 15″ any help would be appreciated there are only three in family don't entertain a lot? Got a conventual gas BBQ which gets used a lot in summer but really fancy a Kamado don't really want to spend more than £400 Thanks in advance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You may find the manufacturer recommends doing a burn with just fuel to cure the ceramic and seals. (I think most do) So make sure you have planned that in before first cook. Plus gives you a chance to fiddle with vents etc and get a feel for it. you could do a cook after but I'd recommend letting it cool down and do it the next day.

For a first cook I'd say pork or chicken. Pork is very forgiving particularly pulled pork. Chicken is easy to do and comes out great. Can do whole or thighs/Drumsticks. I'd also throw in sausages as a first cook, very easy to do 60-90 min cook depending on dome temp. They are cheap take smoke flavour great even if it's just charcoal. 

For charcoal get a good quality Lumpwood if you can (no instant light). Unfortunately this is the off season so B&Q etc won't have in stock. But plenty of online suppliers. Some have said Bookers carry it. Or look at any local Cash & Carry or restaurant suppliers. 

As for wood I'd go with Chunks Can use chips but I find they burn a bit too quick though I do have some that I'm using myself. I've bought from Smoke wood shack in the past and was happy. I prefer Oak/Hickory for my woods but I also drink very peaty Whisky. Cherry or apple is a nice milder flavour especially at the start so you don't over smoke the food. 

If you don't already get a Instant read thermometer and a wired one. Saves you opening the lid all the time. Might be worth looking into a better rain cover. I'm in Scotland and some that come with BBQs aren't up to keeping the rain out. 

Enjoy your cooking and post pictures. We like those. :th_INGardenbbq7:

• Like 1

Thanks for that do live in Wales. it does come with a cover but long term I am thinking of putting under a pergola but short term I am thinking of cooking under the peak of the man cave which is wood so not sure how much clearance I would need ? Thinking chicken first spatchcock am planning on doing a burn first thanks for advise and keep it coming 👍   

• 3 weeks later...

Hi well it arrived and after waiting for some charcoal and woodies did a cure. Then tried to set a raised indirect (?) cook but couldn't as the pizza stone/heat diverter doesn't allow this so just some pork in a baking tray nice but to burnt the bottom and I cooked it to low for the crackling to work. Then tried pizzas with a few chunks of oak in started first one to early but got the third one good best pizza I have had in years but weather not helping. Son wants pizza again soon can't put pics on as broke smartphone. Think I might need another heat deflector but have a pizza oven that has one pizza stone that might work. Don't think it will be getting used agai.