Hi from Crawley

Gloverfoodlover

Morning all,

Almost a sunny three day weekend for most of us here I'm sure!!

I finally after much saving had my 48cm Weber smoky mountain delivered this along with six different types of wood chunks, Maverick wireless temperature probes, a ton of briquettes and a thermopile instant read thermometer. 

So I'm pretty pumped to get cracking with my journey into smoking everything!

I've decided to start with a small ish rubbed pork shoulder along with a whole chicken halved but brine one half and not the other to see what method works better for me and some BBQ beans sitting under the pork shoulder.

Looking forward to swapping tips and techniques with you all on here over time. 

Cheers,

Neil

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a smashing plan to christen the smoky mountain! Any questions you may have or advice you may want, ask away and I'm sure someone will be able to answer them.

Make sure to take plenty of photos of all stages of the cook, we do love to see them!

• Thanks 1

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. 

You will be cooking great BBQ on the WSM :thumb1: Just spend some time getting the temperature control mastered. For low temperatures of ~110 C the Minion method will make it easy to control. Just remember to have patience getting it up to temperature. It is much easier to increase temperature and over shoot than it is to bring it back down again.

2136991621_Cook4AllMinion1.thumb.jpg.a2700bff319d3ac2bfe4e839ef1c0d4c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Wade,

Thanks for that :) I was going to initially for my 1st attempt do a whole chicken as well as a small ish 1.5kg maybe pork shoulder.

Would you suggest the minion method for more longer cooks for example rather than say 2-3 hours which is what at a guess my pork, bird and beans (should) take as a rough idea.

I got this at xmas and has been an epic read so far with some great ideas in it for brine's/rubs and so on!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-There-Be-Meat-Ultimate/dp/1409156354

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Neil

Any time you want to control the temperature the Minion method will help - whether it is low-and-slow temperatures or hot roasting. If you initially fill the fire basket with fully lit coals you are continually trying to tame a raging beast and it is very easy to overshoot. With the Minion method you are gently bringing the smoker up to temperature and then holding it there. For longer cooks of 6-8 hours (or more) all of the charcoal will be consumed but for shorter cooks of 1-2 hours you will be left with un-burned coals that can be reused next time.

In my ProQ, for the low temperatures I usually start with 3/4 (three quarters) of the coals unlit and 1/4 lit. For the hot temperatures I start with 1/2 unlit and 1/2 lit.

I was given that book as a present last year too and I agree it is awesome :thumb1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning Wade,

Ok perfect that all makes sense to me so I'll use that method for my first smoke run next weekend!!

Really appreciate all your time and effort it's awesome of you!

Any unused briquettes then I take it I can then just bag back up for next time right if I say only ended up with a 4-5 hour smoke, in theory?

Hope you're enjoying the BH weekend!

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Yes - just close all of your air vents (top and bottom) after you have finished cooking and wait for it to cool down. The fully unburned ones may as well just go back in the bag, the partially burned ones keep too and use these as part of your starter briquettes for your next smoke.

Yes a lovely weekend thanks - the weather really helps doesn't it. I hope yours went well too :thumb1: