Andrebiondo

Hi everyone , I have just bought a Kamado BBQ ( cheap from Lidl) 

I am reading around the net for the correct way of using it.

I have a question about lump wood, if I was to use store bought burn in a bag lump wood for just grilling would that be acceptable ?

also do you have any recommendation for a good slow cooking wood and setup of the fire ? 
apologies if this was already a thread I coulda see one .

regards 

andrea

Hi and :welcome: @Andrebiondo

I have the older model of the Lidl Kamado and its a great wee BBQ/Smoker. I'd recommend a good quality Lumpwood don't use instant light or briquettes, They contain additives that can taint the ceramic and don't burn as well producing more ash to block the airflow.  

Have a look through this older thread. Lots of good info about deflectors - so you can get Low and slow.  I have used wood chips for smoke but i soak them in water for 30 mins then put in tin foil with some holes poked in it. 

Searing steaks is a great first cook for speed. 

Don't use those "instant light"burn in a bag things. The charcoal is really small and it stinks of fire lighting fuel. Horrible nasty stuff.

Buy decent lumpwood charcoal. Again, most of the superstore stuff is pretty naff. See if there's a firewood supplier close to you....their charcoal is far superior and it will last way longer than superstore stuff. My local supplier sells restaurant charcoal in 12kg bags for £15 or for a tenner if bought on their premises. It's quality stuff and a bag will last ages.

https://www.logsdirect.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal-12g

There's loads of online suppliers too. Amazon, Big K, Fogon, etc etc.

Edited by The Chairmaker

On 4/29/2021 at 8:54 AM, The Chairmaker said:

My local supplier sells restaurant charcoal in 12kg bags for £15 or for a tenner if bought on their premises. It's quality stuff and a bag will last ages.

https://www.logsdirect.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal-12g

Incredible tip - thanks The Chairmaker, remarkably that shop is a 15 minute drive from me too 😃 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrebiondo said:

Thanks guys , 

I shall endeavour to find the right stuff !

If anyone has any tips on lighting it up pipe be appreciated ! 

thanks again

Those wood wool firelighters work well, but they tend to produce a lot of smoke. The method that I use is a cheap butane weed burner. You can pick one up off Amazon (or off the high street) for less than £20 (and that includes 4 cans of fuel). That'll get the charcoal started totally smoke-free in a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Range-WEED-BURNER-Cannisters-Butane/dp/B008CIT3MS/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=weed+burner&qid=1620388466&sr=8-5