New Glasgow Member

garybwn

Hi everyone

Quick intro, I’m a complete newbie to this world (having previously lived in flats) however I’m keen to be smoking on a fairly regular basis. I’m currently doing my research on smokers and the best options out there, I’m a massive brisket fan, will be focusing on that for the first wee while!

If anyone has any suggestions for sub £500 smokers that would be good for a newbie, brisket lover I’m all ears ☺️

Happy Smoking

Gary

First off welcome to the forum Gary......you ask for suggestions for sub £500 smokers??? that's a big question. There are loads of smokers that fit that price range, but also a load of others that go into the 4 figure range.

What's your idea? Bullet, Offset, Kettle, Kamado, then what fuel?? lump,pellets, etc etc....it's not easy dude, what space do you have? do you have any cover? shed, garage?

Take your time to decide, that way you'll save money...😆.

Ice.

• Like 1

Hi Ice  - Thanks for such a quick response 👍

I was initially looking at the offset options but after reading various posts on here around the cheaper offsets I’m probably leaning towards Kamado.

I hadn’t even got to fuel/space but my thought was a cover as it’s a decent sized garden with patio/decking rather than storing. 

I’ll do a bit more digging, as always any thoughts are welcome! 

Gary

• Like 1

Welcome from just outside Glasgow :) 

I started with a Bullet smoker (57cm/22" WSM) and got a Mini Kamado a couple years ago. I've never done a Brisket but have one on the way for the 21st April. 

I always think a Bullet is a great starter as its easy for set it and forget it. An offset needs more fire management plus has a bigger footprint. With the Dreich weather we get I built a wee shack to keep my WSM in so I can use it all year. 

Though a Kettle is a great place to start due to the variety of use you can get from it. 

• Like 2

@hoogl love it! - I use Collins over in Muirhead for steaks etc but John Davidson’s looks very well set up for what we’re talking about... Once I’ve got half an idea what I’m doing I’ll get an order in 😄

Thanks again, hopefully we get a decent summer to make the most of it!

@garybwnMuirhead? Hi Neighbour I'm over in "What's it called?"

I'll need to swing over once I stop Shielding. 

Yeah fingers crossed on a decent summer. But that's the beauty of a smoker. a wee bit of rain doesn't bother it so can cook in pretty much anything. 

I'd recommend the Aldi Kamado for £350 but I'm not sure if it's going back on sale. My gf was a little dubious of the £400 I spent on the WSM at first but once she tasted the meat she's been happy ever since. Plus a decent BBQ will last years if you look after it so It's an investment. Can do the xmas Turkey on it so more room for trimmings inside. 

• Like 1