Spritzing

sub333

Is it essential?

I've seen a few articles saying it is, and just as many saying it isn't!

Got a rack of St Louis ribs on the smoker now, and am tempted to leave them as they are to see how they turn out.

Some articles say it's essential to keep the ribs moist; others say you end up washing the rub off or diluting the flavour.

Any advice appreciated 🙂

It all depends on your cooking method and the amount of fat on the meat. If you are using the 3-2-1 method for your ribs then they will not need sprizing or mopping though if you are cooking them straight then you may need to spritz/mop a couple of times. 

You don't want your ribs to dry out however they usually have plenty of fat attached and effectively self bast. Also any sauce applied will add moisture too. With the 3-2-1 method, for the "2" part they are wrapped in foil and so they steam in their own juices and little or no moisture is lost.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wade said:

It all depends on your cooking method and the amount of fat on the meat. If you are using the 3-2-1 method for your ribs then they will not need sprizing or mopping though if you are cooking them straight then you may need to spritz/mop a couple of times. 

You don't want your ribs to dry out however they usually have plenty of fat attached and effectively self bast. Also any sauce applied will add moisture too. With the 3-2-1 method, for the "2" part they are wrapped in foil and so they steam in their own juices and little or no moisture is lost.

Thanks, Wade.

Looks great!

I did some ribs in the oven today which I was gonna do on the bbq.....too busy yesterday so had to replace the gasket on the bbq today instead (I wanted to make sure the glue is fully set, hence the oven)

I spritzed every hour and they were no were near as juicey as yours👍

They were good... but thats the first and last time in the oven haha

Edited by AdamG
spelling
  • Like 2