SNAFU with Salmon.

martin_b

Ops.. After doing dozens of sides of cold smoked salmon over the years Ive made my first major screw up.

ALl my fault I used a weber kettle instead of my smoking box, as I hadnt cleaned it from last year. Then I used my big pro q as I couldnt find the small one, next i didnt check the pro q has lit correctly, it had in two diferent places, and then finnaly not checking how things were going. the result a side of hot smoked salmon!

not sure what to do with it now?  it tastes OK if a bit salty, maybe flake it and use it in fish pies? any other suggestions?

56 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Ops.. After doing dozens of sides of cold smoked salmon over the years Ive made my first major screw up.

ALl my fault I used a weber kettle instead of my smoking box, as I hadnt cleaned it from last year. Then I used my big pro q as I couldnt find the small one, next i didnt check the pro q has lit correctly, it had in two diferent places, and then finnaly not checking how things were going. the result a side of hot smoked salmon!

not sure what to do with it now?  it tastes OK if a bit salty, maybe flake it and use it in fish pies? any other suggestions?

If you are using the big ProQ cold smoke generator place it underneath the Weber (between the wheels). Leave all of the vents fully open and wrap some card or black plastic bags around the legs (like a skirt) to direct the smoke upwards. I used to use this method when using my A-maze-n Pellet smoke generator with my Weber. It gives the heat time to dissipate before coming in contact with the fish.

Yes keep it. It will be great in fish pies.

21 minutes ago, Ruedeleglise said:

SNAFU........did you know that is an acronym used in the RAF.....Situation Normal All Fu##ed Up! Was that in fact meant in this post!!? 

Yes, SNAFU and FUBAR'ed as well.  Not the services but 40 years+ in IT have taught me the meaning of both!