An Apple Sauce Recipe Along With A Vinegar Sauce For Pulled Pork

sotv

Did a pork shoulder yesterday and my wife said she would like to try apple sauce on her pulled pork, never done it before with apple sauce & it works really well unsurprisingly and easy enough to make your own and is just delicious. I normally mix in just the pork juices back into the pork from letting it rest after pulling and serve it with a coleslaw but thought I would try this easy to make vinegar sauce for it as well and once again it tasted pretty good.

The apple sauce I made in the Instant Pot which allowed me to pressure cook it but no reason it couldn't be made in slow cooker or over the hob allowing more time for the apples to soften. After doing some reading it seems not just one variety of apple works best but a mixture of sweet and tart apples.

I used

2 Golden Delicious, 2 Granny Smiths & 1 Pink Lady Apple

3/4 Cup Of Water

1 tbsp Lemon Juice

1 tbsp of Sugar

Pressure cooked it for 8 minutes and allowed natural release. If doing in saucepan or slow cooker just cook them down to baby food type consistency, give it a quick press with potato masher is you still like a few lumps in it or stick it in the blender once cooled if you like it really smooth.

It can then either be served cold or reheated to serve with the pulled pork if it has been made beforehand

It makes quite a bit even with just five apples, plenty for the 8 cobs I did and enough leftover to freeze or make an apple crumble as we have, if I'd thought about it could have done the crumble on the smoker alongside the pulled pork, but next time will.

IMG_0670.thumb.JPG.850926f6aecdeb4edc7a7d834e3532f8.JPG

Vinegar Sauce

• 200ml apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Mix altogether in a saucepan, heat to boiling slowly, allow to cool and put in container in fridge for 24 hours, then reheat and pour over pulled pork,  

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

We always have apple sauce with pork, it's written in stone around here..😆.

I'm cooking a loin joint today on the ProQ... but will keep it as a Sunday roast...with Fontant pots along with apple sauce.....never thought about doing the vinegar sauce will try that one..

Ice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Icefever said:

We always have apple sauce with pork, it's written in stone around here..😆.

I'm cooking a loin joint today on the ProQ... but will keep it as a Sunday roast...with Fontant pots along with apple sauce.....never thought about doing the vinegar sauce will try that one..

Ice.

Yes we do with a Sunday roast, but can't believe never thought to put it on top of a hot pulled pork cob before. have to say the pressure cooker way of doing it makes it so easy as well.

Just now, Icefever said:

We have an Instapot, did chicken & rice last week, turned out brilliant...we mostly do our apple sauce in a pan on the hob though....

Ice.

It's a great bit of kit, I use it so much, got the airfryer version, as you say rice dishes in it are just amazing really recommend this recipe if you like egg fried rice, lovely served with lemon chicken or duck in orange sauce. I even make my own cakes now 😀. Doing some bone broth and fish stock over the next 2 days, takes just over an hour instead of nearly a day in some cases in the slow cooker or on the hob.

• 1 year later...