Help and advice

Big joe

Hi everyone , I was recently given a kettle bbq and I am hoping too be able too learn how to smoke on it , I have been watching alot of videos online on how too do low and slow cooks , one thing that I noticed alot was that temp controll is key, after lots of videos and reading I now think i am ready and understand how too regulate temp and maybe ready to have ago at maybe doing some ribs , the stumbling block I have is that all videos all show weber kettles , mine is not a weber and the vents I have are different,  I know that it's still the same technique in regards too how too control temp ,

the kettle I have was given too me my by my brother , I'm not sure if the vents are set up correctly , there is a vent adjuster on the outside and inside the lid, is that correct or should both be on the outside ? I'd be grateful if any of you could have a look at the vents i have and possibly let me know if they are set up correctly and let me know if they need too be used any differently 

Thanks in advance 

20210217_134358.jpg

20210217_134335.jpg

20210217_134320.jpg

On 2/17/2021 at 1:56 PM, Big joe said:

Hi everyone , I was recently given a kettle bbq and I am hoping too be able too learn how to smoke on it , I have been watching alot of videos online on how too do low and slow cooks , one thing that I noticed alot was that temp controll is key, after lots of videos and reading I now think i am ready and understand how too regulate temp and maybe ready to have ago at maybe doing some ribs , the stumbling block I have is that all videos all show weber kettles , mine is not a weber and the vents I have are different,  I know that it's still the same technique in regards too how too control temp ,

the kettle I have was given too me my by my brother , I'm not sure if the vents are set up correctly , there is a vent adjuster on the outside and inside the lid, is that correct or should both be on the outside ? I'd be grateful if any of you could have a look at the vents i have and possibly let me know if they are set up correctly and let me know if they need too be used any differently 

Thanks in advance 

Ok Big Joe I'll have a go on this........this first photo looks the same as a Weber bottom vent which lets you drop out any ash that builds up. It also lets in air to control the coals/lumpwood that's being used.

20210217_134358.jpg

The next photo...Question, is this vent in this photo. the same vent as the next photo??  it looks like it to me from the pressing set into the lid??

If it is do they turn independently of each other? if they do that means your going to have to lift the lid off to set the inside one maybe in the middle of a cook and that lets out a load of heat that you don't want.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:56 PM, Big joe said:

20210217_134335.jpg

If the answer to the above question is yes they are one vent, then what I would do is a test run first....set the inside vent to wide open....then use the outer one to control the heat. Use a temp probe to watch the temp at the grill plate....an easy test is cook a chicken...spackcock it and it cooks nice and even not a lot to go wrong, if you have done ribs before then go for it...if not ribs can bite you in the arse if your new to BBQ'ing.  :th_INGardenbbq7:

20210217_134320.jpg

Hope this helps matey?? without knowing the make of the BBQ it leaves us in the dark a little, but have a go and let us know how you get on.

Ice.👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the help @Icefever I think i will try and do a chicken first before I attempt ribs , 

The vents are together, one on the inside and one outside , they mirror each other , which confused me as they both have too be lined up to create the gap/ vent , I'm pretty sure just one would do the same job, that's why I posted incase I was missing something 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rawce said:

Based on what Wade has said on various bullet smoker threads, those vents look a little small to me. However, bullets tend to be higher than wider so the draw might be different than on a short/wide kettle.

100% Rawce......that's what I thought when I looked at the photos....Big Joe will have to see how this test cook turns out, and if it needs it maybe drill out the slots on the outer vent to make them a little larger??

Ice.