Inkbird ISC-007BW

smash

Not yet, missed out on one of the 20% or 30% off codes.  Ready to pull the trigger when another one of those hopefully comes up.   Installation seems easy enough on a variety of smokers and I've been happy with a number of other Inkbird products I own.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smeg said:

Not yet, missed out on one of the 20% or 30% off codes.  Ready to pull the trigger when another one of those hopefully comes up.   Installation seems easy enough on a variety of smokers and I've been happy with a number of other Inkbird products I own.

Yeah I think I’m in the same boat, also have a couple of other of their products and really like them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought one recently and had a chance to give it a go on Saturday night. I had a 4.5Kg brisket to cook on my new Big Joe ll so it was an ideal opportunity to give it a go.

First problem was that the app is a pig to get connected. I had to disable the multi-channel WiFi on my router and only use the 2.4Ghz band. once connected though it reconnects with no problems.  Even then it took ages to get it connected. The manual is less than clear- for example it says to press the WiFi button to change connecting modes. The problem is that there is no WIFi button on the device!!!

Second problem- I had to make a backing plate for the air vent connection as the standard plate was too short for the large opening on the Big Joe. Even with the crappy little extension pieces the adaptor was still not big enough.It was fine on my Pit Boss K24 though @Inkbird do you make any larger air vent adaptors?

Third problem. The probes leads are just too short. Bear in mind that the air vent tube has to go into the bottom of the Kamado and the leads under the dome. I wasn't able to route the probe leads round the back of the Big Joe (Kamado Joe tell you to route leads at the back where the mesh seal is joiuned by soem tape to prevent damage to the seal). This just want possible. In fact, it was just about possible to have the unit sitting on the shelf, right at the edge as the airpipe is barely long enough. Another 12 inches on the probe leads would have made all the difference.

Now the good points. It works perfectly. Over a 10 hour smoke it controlled the temperature perfectly....maybe a 4 C variance at worst. The weather varied a lot during the overnight cook- the ambient air temp dropped by about 8C, we had some blustery wind and it rained heavily for about an hour. The app works fine too. Once it connects once then it reconnects really quickly.

205804024_BrisketCook.thumb.jpg.dc938d98fa752d5cde717392d2b5c30e.jpg

Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Make the probe leads a bit longer and offer some alternative air vent connections and it'd be a 9/10.

• 4 months later...

Just a heads up for anyone interested:

The TLDR is that with the current multibuy offer on ebay, you can buy 3 Inkbird BBQ controllers for £119.99 each (£135 if 2 are bought).  They are normally north of £200.

I have just bought one from amazon for £180 with discount code and it seems a kissy bit of kit - comes in a nice box and fits the Aldi Kamado.  I'll take some photos if you want.

I'm not affiliated with the ebay seller or the company, I just know a cracking deal when I see it - if 3 of you can bang your heads together you'll get a bargain.  I was going to get them with a couple of pals but they weren't interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324642410424?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1AaHzxr8tQ4yqr7oY-DfbMQ77&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=324642410424&targetid=1394627228387&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046605&poi=&campaignid=14474580847&mkgroupid=129148110160&rlsatarget=pla-1394627228387&abcId=9300649&merchantid=114948869&gclid=CjwKCAjw2P-KBhByEiwADBYWClNFTdwnNXdrl6d3KiNgqtA4ZJh6oF-nNWQBGtA1NHEUz9QOW4Z3WRoCOyAQAvD_BwE

The company has great reviews and seems to sell lots of inkbird stuff - been around since 2010 (in fact as I'd been looking at it, ebay sent me an email, unprompted, saying this company was an experienced seller.)

The controllers have decent reviews on Amazon and are normally £199 each, currently £180 with voucher:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PFF7V1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worth considering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and bought this a couple of months ago, I have made an adaptor for Weber / ProQ daisy wheel vents. And also made it portable by getting a 12V battery pack that gives me up to 20hours run time, I have placed both items in a plastic box and made cutouts for the hose and probes, so the unit can be used in the standard British weather

On 10/10/2021 at 10:32 AM, wolfylee said:

IMG_20211123_152825.jpg

IMG_20211129_144149.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I went ahead and bought this a couple of months ago, I have made an adaptor for Weber / ProQ daisy wheel vents. And also made it portable by getting a 12V battery pack that gives me up to 20hours run time, I have placed both items in a plastic box and made cutouts for the hose and probes, so the unit can be used in the standard British weather

IMG_20211129_144149.jpg

If it's sealed in a box then where does it draw air in?

Just now, The Chairmaker said:

If it's sealed in a box then where does it draw air in?

The lid of the box does not sit flush, it sits on plastic reinforcing ribs, that allow air flow, but overlap enough to stop water running in, definitely doesn't struggle to draw air.

IMG20211119152841.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

IMG_20211123_152825.jpg

IMG_20211129_144149.jpg

That looks brilliant, have you got a link for the battery pack?

Shower proof box and battery pack for Inkbird ISC-007BW BBQ Grill Smoker Temperature Controller.

Box £3.00 amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SNIK24U
Battery £34.99 amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EUG26SO
90° plugs £5.49 amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MC7TZ4F

Not had chance to run it properly, to see how long the battery lasts, but hopefully a good 10 hours, *

I placed the controller on top of the battery, in the box, to raise it high enough to be able to pause the fan by pushing the on the knob through the lid.

There is no restriction to the airflow for the fan, and it won't struggle to draw air, as the lid of the box does not form a tight seal, the lid sits on plastic reinforcing ribs allowing airflow up and under the lid, but the lids overlap is big enough to stop water/rain getting in the box, so long as the box is upright.

The Inkbird controller was originally designed by a US company called BBQube Tempmaster, they sold it on to Inkbird, who then also equipped their version with WiFi (not just Bluetooth)

https://bbqube.us/BBQube-TempMaster-Portable--BBQ-Temperature-Controller-for-Charcoal-Smokers-and-Kamado-such-as-Big-Green-Egg-Kamado-Joe-Char-Griller-Akorn-Primo-Vision-Grill-Pit-Boss-Weber-Kettle-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-PK-Grill_p_42.html

The battery I got was 3800 mAh, should give me over 10 hours use, BBQube Tempmaster recommend a battery from Amazon US that's 6000 mAh and gives 20 hours running time.

amazon.com/dp/B00MF70BPU/

I have tried 3 different phone USB battery banks/packs, and found they all cut out at 100% fan power, they run ok at 70%, I think the fan at 100% draws too much current, and there is protection in the power banks circuitry, like a fuse or circuit breaker to stop it giving too much current and damaging the phone or the power bank.

If the battery pack does not run long enough, I can cut an extra hole next to the probe ports, for the external mains power lead.

Could probably buy a lead with 90° connectors, but it was only after I ordered the items, I measured up and realised that the battery and controller probably wouldn't fit that box with the straight connectors plugged in.

The extra weight of battery and box helps prevent the weight of the heavy hose, dragging the light weight controller off the Kamado side shelves.

*Battery update... (See photo)
So battery after 3½ hours running, still had 3 out of 4 battery level lights on, very happy.
Now up to 9 hours total run time over several cooks, still have 2 out of 4 battery level lights 

***Updated...Better App
Official Inkbird controller app, not the one that is suggested to download in the manual, this one is just for the BBQ/Smoker controller and doesn't have any of the 'smart home' devices in the app. Much neater and easier to navigate.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkbird.wifismoker

See my review for the Inkbird controller here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodfortheflame/permalink/853361158679583/

See my Weber / Pro Q vent adaptor here

https://m.facebook.com/groups/foodfortheflame/permalink/855773761771656/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 3:42 AM, Jonny said:

Shower proof box and battery pack for Inkbird ISC-007BW BBQ Grill Smoker Temperature Controller.

Box £3.00 amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SNIK24U
Battery £34.99 amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EUG26SO
90° plugs £5.49 amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MC7TZ4F

Not had chance to run it properly, to see how long the battery lasts, but hopefully a good 10 hours, *

I placed the controller on top of the battery, in the box, to raise it high enough to be able to pause the fan by pushing the on the knob through the lid.

There is no restriction to the airflow for the fan, and it won't struggle to draw air, as the lid of the box does not form a tight seal, the lid sits on plastic reinforcing ribs allowing airflow up and under the lid, but the lids overlap is big enough to stop water/rain getting in the box, so long as the box is upright.

The Inkbird controller was originally designed by a US company called BBQube Tempmaster, they sold it on to Inkbird, who then also equipped their version with WiFi (not just Bluetooth)

https://bbqube.us/BBQube-TempMaster-Portable--BBQ-Temperature-Controller-for-Charcoal-Smokers-and-Kamado-such-as-Big-Green-Egg-Kamado-Joe-Char-Griller-Akorn-Primo-Vision-Grill-Pit-Boss-Weber-Kettle-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-PK-Grill_p_42.html

The battery I got was 3800 mAh, should give me over 10 hours use, BBQube Tempmaster recommend a battery from Amazon US that's 6000 mAh and gives 20 hours running time.

amazon.com/dp/B00MF70BPU/

I have tried 3 different phone USB battery banks/packs, and found they all cut out at 100% fan power, they run ok at 70%, I think the fan at 100% draws too much current, and there is protection in the power banks circuitry, like a fuse or circuit breaker to stop it giving too much current and damaging the phone or the power bank.

If the battery pack does not run long enough, I can cut an extra hole next to the probe ports, for the external mains power lead.

Could probably buy a lead with 90° connectors, but it was only after I ordered the items, I measured up and realised that the battery and controller probably wouldn't fit that box with the straight connectors plugged in.

The extra weight of battery and box helps prevent the weight of the heavy hose, dragging the light weight controller off the Kamado side shelves.

*Battery update... (See photo)
So battery after 3½ hours running, still had 3 out of 4 battery level lights on, very happy.
Now up to 9 hours total run time over several cooks, still have 2 out of 4 battery level lights 

***Updated...Better App
Official Inkbird controller app, not the one that is suggested to download in the manual, this one is just for the BBQ/Smoker controller and doesn't have any of the 'smart home' devices in the app. Much neater and easier to navigate.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkbird.wifismoker

See my review for the Inkbird controller here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodfortheflame/permalink/853361158679583/

See my Weber / Pro Q vent adaptor here

https://m.facebook.com/groups/foodfortheflame/permalink/855773761771656/

Hey Jonny,

Just bought one of these machines and it's frustrating I can't use it in inclement weather!

A couple of questions about your setup if I may...

I take it you're feeding the Inkbird through the micro-USB? I assumed the fan wouldn't ever run when fed through it so just to confirm.

What's the purpose of the right angle connectors if you're using the battery pack?

Thanks loads.

Ferg.