Bullet smoker or kettle?

Mo_42

Hi everyone
I'm looking for some advice on what to get.
ProQ fontier or Weber MT (open to other ideas, budget 300-350 initially but can add extras like pizza stones later on)
The largest cut I'll be cooking will be the occasional lamb leg or shoulder, most mostly cooking chicken. Some pizzas and smash burgers.
I already have a 4 burner no brand gas bbq but wanted to move back to charcoal

On 1/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, Mo_42 said:

Hi everyone
I'm looking for some advice on what to get.
ProQ fontier or Weber MT (open to other ideas, budget 300-350 initially but can add extras like pizza stones later on)
The largest cut I'll be cooking will be the occasional lamb leg or shoulder, most mostly cooking chicken. Some pizzas and smash burgers.
I already have a 4 burner no brand gas bbq but wanted to move back to charcoal

I have a ProQ frontier and changed from a MT to a SNS Kettle last year. 

I find I use the kettle a lot more than I use the frontier and as I usually only smoke one joint at a time, I just find it easier on the kettle. 

I don't think either is a bad choice and both will probably do what you'd need. 

36 minutes ago, Mo_42 said:

Thanks. I've gone for the MT, should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to the weekend. Will be starting with something easy like chicken

That's great. There are so many accessories that make them really versatile. Chicken and pork shoulders are a great place to start. 

• Like 1

:yeahthat:

It is good to learn the temperature control on your specific smoker using an inexpensive forgiving meat like chicken. Pork shoulder and ribs are good too - though pork shoulder will take quite a lot longer to cook.

Have you got yourself a twin probe digital thermometer, as this will be important as you progress. They are not expensive and will tell you the temperature information you need without having to lift the lid. "If you are looking you are not cooking".

If cooking the chicken do not try to cook it too low and slow. I find that about 140 C is good for chicken, whereas you are looking for ~110-115 C for pork shoulder and ribs.

What will you be using as fuel? Briquettes? Lumpwood?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mo_42 said:

I've got a thermopro 2 probe thermometer, at the moment i got about 5kg of briquettes but can swap once its finished if lumpwood is better

The lumpwood Vs briquettes debate will never be settled. Good quality briquettes and good quality lumpwood are both brilliant.

It's just a matter of what you find you get on better with. I use both, but tend to favour briquettes. But i am also quite a Fairweather fan with dubious loyalty to my opinions and will usually go for whatever I can get a deal on 😁

The thermometer sounds like just the job! 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, markie_q said:

I have a ProQ frontier and changed from a MT to a SNS Kettle last year. 

I find I use the kettle a lot more than I use the frontier and as I usually only smoke one joint at a time, I just find it easier on the kettle. 

I don't think either is a bad choice and both will probably do what you'd need. 

Hi , what made you swop from a mt to the sns kettle ? If I may ask . 

10 minutes ago, Noste500 said:

Hi , what made you swop from a mt to the sns kettle ? If I may ask . 

My MT was falling apart, I was on my second bowl, third lid in 5 years. Had just replaced the vent blades and they had begun to bend again already, so was generally disappointed in the Weber build quality. It seems that 10 year old Weber's are generally in a much better state then most 5 year old ones. 

I have used a Slow'N'Sear and a couple of other of their other accessories over the last 2 years and was very happy with them. 

So was torn between a Napoleon and the SNS Kettle. I'm not a huge fan of cast iron grates, I have them on my Q220 and like the idea of having a side shelf. 

Absolutely delighted with the SNS Kettle so far (although I would have said the same about my MT after a year). It holds temp much better than my MT and the build quality is great. There are just lots of little improvements. They've more polished a diamond than try to re-invent the wheel.