Stocking up the freezer.

valve90210

Having had to have a clearout of one of my freezers last week after the door fell off (yep literally) I've decided I'm going to get myself prepared for the summer by stocking up on some pre-smoked (by me of course) meaty goodness.  In the past I've had a lot of success with pulled pork , pulled lamb and brisket so i'll be doing some of each of those but I'm wondering if there's anything else that works well when smoked, portioned up, vacuum-packed and then frozen?

6 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Let’s see the Pulled Lamb!

This was for my Dad's birthday:

Pulled_Lamb.thumb.jpg.5ed6adcc7dcc0c8e6d5b00a8518ecac1.jpg

And this (the back dish) was for a bbq spread I did when I went away for a weekend with friends...a little tricky to reheat with the minimal facilities at a center parcs but turned out fine:

Center_Parcs_Spread.thumb.jpg.cc647ef3d156fadae359d524abc0aa52.jpg

And even a before and after of the center parcs joint:
Before:

20170922_195244.thumb.jpg.514f59c5c8767b12c0757faebe186ce5.jpg

After:

20170923_190812.thumb.jpg.9e0e5a266c3d2372b1e7c497f1bca774.jpg

A good staple to have in the freezer is rib meat. I use this a lot when making things like risottos or stir fry.

When you cook your meaty ribs trimmed to a St Louis cut, also include the cartilage trimmings in the smoker (cooked separately). These are cooked in exactly the same way as the ribs. Once they are cooked and cool enough to handle pull off the meat and chop into small(ish) cubes. If you have a rib or two left over then take the meat off these too and add to the trimming meat.

I sometimes also add a little of this into my pulled pork too as it gives it an added layer of flavour.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2018 at 5:08 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

All looks good!

Thanks

22 hours ago, Wade said:

A good staple to have in the freezer is rib meat. I use this a lot when making things like risottos or stir fry.

When you cook your meaty ribs trimmed to a St Louis cut, also include the cartilage trimmings in the smoker (cooked separately). These are cooked in exactly the same way as the ribs. Once they are cooked and cool enough to handle pull off the meat and chop into small(ish) cubes. If you have a rib or two left over then take the meat off these too and add to the trimming meat.

I sometimes also add a little of this into my pulled pork too as it gives it an added layer of flavour.

Maybe I need to be cooking more racks in one go, so there's enough trimmings and potentially ribs to have some left over. :D

54 minutes ago, valve90210 said:

Maybe I need to be cooking more racks in one go, so there's enough trimmings and potentially ribs to have some left over. :D

My usual philosophy is to calculate how many racks I think I am going to need and then add an extra one in for eating later :D