Shashlik

CoCoCabana

Tonight I wanted to recreate a childhood favourite from when I visited Germany as a Boy Scout ( sniggers accepted) . I think it was my first ever spicy food and the German family with whom I was staying were surprised I wasn't up all night. I recall the flavours of paprika , tomato and onions and 'heat' . So some relatively box standard Shashlik ( means skewered meat in many East European and Near East languages) were indirect grilled for an hour before a quick finishing sear. The back ones were rubbed with smoked paprika and salt , the front ones 'naked'.

For the sauce I used half a Tsp regular Paprika powder , half a Tap smoked Paprika powder , turned into a rich tomato based purée and almost Caremalised sweet white onions. For the heat some chilli flakes and then just simmered so the ingredients got to know each other .

Very happy with the outcome and the dredging up of  fond memories at the ' Schnellimbiss' in Essen Borbeck .

ill do this again and if I have more time will smoke the shashlik and the sauce to really jazz it up. 3D175184-2D6A-44D1-A9F9-B3C5C64D4A29.thumb.jpeg.0764d20f7da034e15091028458acec74.jpeg

72F91704-20B2-4D1C-82BF-B0E5AB9CFEF0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shashlik is one of my favorite things to order from our local Indian Takeaway.

Nothing wrong with being a Boy Scout, that’s where I first learnt to cook on an open fire (not sure you would be allowed these days, health & safety and all that).

Went to Osnabruck on two exchanges, supposedly to learn German, but everyone wanted to speak English!

This is my Chicken Shashlik recipe.

500g Chicken Breasts
4 Onions
4 Peppers
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Salt
For The Sauce
4 Tomatoes
2 Cloves Of Garlic
2 Tbsp Vinegar
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Cornflour
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

Directions:

Cut chicken, onions, tomatoes and bell peppers into medium sized cubes. Mix Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt in a big mixing bowl. Toss in the chicken and vegetables. Set aside to marinate for as long as possible.

Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Chuck all the ingredients of the curry ( except oil and corn flour) into the blender. Make a smooth paste.

Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Add the tomato paste to the pan. Let it bubble and simmer for 5-7 minutes or till the tomatoes don’t taste raw any more. Dilute corn flour with a little water and add to the curry. Cook another 2-3 minutes, keep stirring till the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.

Heat your outdoor grill or Tandoor Oven. Thread the chicken and vegetable cubes on skewers. Cook till done and charred on outside. 12-15 minutes.

Serve on a pre-heated hot plate/sizzling dish or over a bed of steamed rice. Pour the sauce over chicken and vegetables cubes before serving.

• Like 1