Review of Bradley Smoker

Gourmet Meat Centre

Hi Guys...having spent 5 days experimenting with the Bradley Smoker I thought I might share the experiance.

I have hot smoked several different meats from game bird breasts to joints and the usual ribs and brisket.  The heat timer and temperature target functions are good and easy to set and offers peace of mind.  Again, the smoke duration timer is good.

However, I found the single heat element slow to reach the target temperature and again to recover if the door was opened.  Also, with the heat element being positioned towards the rear of the cabinet the heat isnt distributed evenly and products towards the rear dry out or overcooked compared to those at the front.

I would advise against advancing the brisquettes until you have allowed 15 minutes for the plate to heat up otherwise you may find little smoke generated in the first 20 min cycle and most part of the first bisquette unused.

In all...the item isnt fit for purpose especially given the cost and ongoing bisquette cost.

The Bradley smoke generator works well but again the bisquette cost and running 2 different systems (1 for hot smoking and 1 for cold) leaves me looking for an alternative.

I wouldnt recommend a Bradley Smoker.

• Like 1

I have used the Bradley before and I have had similar experiences. With practice though you can overcome them by moving the food around during the smoke - but it is a pain. The cost of the biscuits put me off (and is probably where Bradley get most of their revenue) but if you look online there are people who show how to make your own.

Here is one from Bradleys own user forum
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36873.0

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gourmet Meat Centre said:

As for home...Im thinking a weber smokey mountain.

If you are looking at a bullet smoker then before you buy the WSM take a look at the ProQ Frontier smokers. I have used both the WSM and ProQ and although both work well, I found the ProQ much more practical to use. Because the ProQ body is split into two sections it is much easier to access the bottom cooking rack during the smoke. When using the WSM to get practical access to the bottom rack you first need to remove the top rack.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Just read this... AFTER buying a Bradley 4 rack Digital one. OK it was second hand, and I concur its poorly made. On giving it a thorough clean, the racks were rusting where the chrome had cracked, the V heat shield in the bottom was rusted through, the bowl was full of holes, and the bottom drip tray was the same. All down to poorly chromed mild steel construction.  From what I have now found out, that it really needs a second heating element, or changing to the Tempco 900W one which is stupid money over here in the UK at £125, and not sure if that included VaT or delivery. 

I have already decided to make my own bisquettes, as they aren't cheap and are an ongoing cost. A bit of Ally pipe, some spacers and a Window Sash Cramp to compress should do the trick. Just trying to find a cheap place for Oak sawdust at a reasonable price. Its the postage for a 25 Kg sack that is probably the killer.

So there we are, Just joined the forum to find that I didn't make the best buy! Still... It will get me going and I will see how it goes before changing.

Ele.

• Like 1

Many years back, I looked at one of these as my first smoker, was soon put off buy the cost of the “Pucks”

Another great tip is cut, some aluminum discs the same size as the Pucks, and put them into the chute, at the estimated time you want to finish your cook, these way you will save at least 2 Pucks per cook.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I got a bradley smoker not the cheapest to run and it stopped working after 4 weeks as the oven is no the best with out the smoker. The meat was only good for the bin. I complained to the company I got it from and they told me there supplier wanted proof it didn't work I had to send pics as they didn't believe me. Rather than send me a new smoker as that was the part that was broken. They send me a new hot plate which I had to pay to have put in (don't touch electrics). When that did not work I had to provide evidence again as I tell lies in there eyes and they still have not resolved the issue iv had it for 2 months and one of them it has not worked do not buy this smoker unless you like being called a liar and sending 45 emails iv now asked for my money back