Afternoon All!

Danp83

Afternoon All.  New here and new to anything but normal grilling.  Love nothing more than cooking meat with a cold beer.  Got a cosmogrill xl on the way.  Planning on starting my journey with a 4 kilo brisket using the snake method for my birthday gut bash.  Any advice is very welcome!

Thanks for having me 👍🏻

• Like 1

Welcome again mate...😉...another guy joined a week or so back and he was using a Cosmogrill. Would it not be better on a new bit of kit to go for say a chuck?? this way you will get to know your new grill?? if a chicken is knackered it's not so bad as if it's a brisket??

Ice.

• Like 2

Hi :welcome:. I agree with Icefever, I get the appeal of starting with a brisket especially a proper packer cut but I'd rather wait until I felt more seasoned especially with a new smoker as well,.
But happy birthday when it comes and be sure to post pics:th_INGardenbbq7:. Have a look on the forum as there is quite a bit of good advice for first smokes and cooking brisket. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All,

After careful consideration I decided to go with beef short ribs for my first low and slow.  Kept it simple with a coating of mustard and Meat Co. Lab Dirty Cow rub. 5 hours at 150 and I have to say I was very please with the result!  Been reading about the fabled smoke ring so very happy to have achieved such a deep one first time round.  Had a bit of a nightmare keeping a constant temperature but I guess that comes with practice...... and I ate the lot!

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great. I bet you are a bit more relaxed after cooking short ribs with a few issues in keeping constant temp. Depending on the temp swing don't worry about chasing the exact 225f etc a few degrees hotter or cooler is fine and once the smoker has built up some carbon from a few cooks you'll usually find it's more consistent.