Bacon cures & smoking

Gooders

I've had some success curing & smoking my own bacon over the last few months (both streaky & back) using a couple of different cures (one fairly plain with juniper, bay, pepper) and one sweeter with maple syrup but I'm always interested in finding new and unusual cures & smokes to use. Has anyone got anything a bit left-field that they can share that works well? I've mainly smoked in cherry and maple.

Hi Gooders...the recipe needs a little work because it starts off as a dry cure, but then you add the beer, which becomes a wet cure.  I got away with this time but I need to work on the recipe a little just to make sure everything is spot on & safe.....I intend to do so in the next few weeks as I want to cure another load of pork...watch this space.

Ice.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gooders said:

Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing the results. Thanks for coming back.

Gooders

I want to do another batch as we loved it...but it has to be safe if your posting a recipe. Now I know I should have weighed both the pork and the beer, it makes sense when you think about it, so I want to correct the recipe then alls well.

Ice.

While I’m on this subject, any pointers here would be appreciated. I have been air drying a speck (cured shoulder that I’ve then smoked). Taken it down tonight after hanging in the shed for a month and it is dark (almost black) in appearance With some mainly white spots of mould and very firm. My gut says it’s fine (smells okay, Cure was right, been wrapped in muslin to keep flies off) but someone may say otherwise! Photos added for reference. Not air dried anything other than bacon before so a bit twitchy for obvious reasons. Not yet lost 30% of its weight so shouldn’t be ready for a few months yet.

7DAE53A1-2C99-4FC0-ADBE-E9FC05950D88.jpeg

E7826BF5-6593-4B14-A12C-DE76972BEB8C.jpeg