Brisket.

Craigcog

Morning all, I'm cooking my first brisket today ( Morrisons bought no fat cap 2.2kg) on my Aldi Kamado egg.

I've had this for two years now and my success are now outweighing my failures😊 but I've been scared of brisket. I've layered streaky bacon and butter to where the fat cap should be and set the cooking temp to 225f.  I'm looking to pull it off at around 190f do you think this should turn out ok? 

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Hiya Adam, It turned out ok in the end for my first brisket but was a little dry. I'd just like to know where I went wrong for next time.

I think it may have been down to having no fat cap. But on the plus I've got loads left over to make a nice pit boss chilli.

• Like 4

Was looking at your brisket earlier, how are you keeping it moist? Is it just down to the lack of fat cap with shop bought brisket? I layered mine with butter then bacon so as to keep the moisture it. 

I was tender but a little to dry, any tips?

I have always suspected (based on pork shoulder) that uk meat maybe a little more lean than the american meats. Reason why I say this is I usually end up having to do add a little more moisture (through basting or spraying) than recommended, but end up with just the right moisture.

This is mere guesswork though and I have never looked for evidence to support it. It just works so I always do it now lol👍 

when should I expect my portion to arrive?😜

2 hours ago, Craigcog said:

Was looking at your brisket earlier, how are you keeping it moist? Is it just down to the lack of fat cap with shop bought brisket? I layered mine with butter then bacon so as to keep the moisture it. 

I was tender but a little to dry, any tips?

The one I smoked did not have a lot of fat on it and any that was on the underneath I trimmed away anyway so more direct meat surface for rub contact. I also smoked it with the fat cap facing down. I only spritzed 3 times for the whole cook period ( I also never use a water bath when smoking) inter-muscular fat marbling and resting is key ( but this is just my opinion).

I'm no expert in brisket as I've only done a few but heres a few things I've picked up along the way that have helped me. I never buy a brisket if it's got not fat cap on,in my limited experience I've had 2 brisket that I cooked low and slow took the internal temp up to 203 and it turned out dry, made good chilli though. I trim the fat and the silver skin off the bottom and trim the hard fat from the sides of the meat.

I use a beef injection mainly on the point end because of how thin it is but I also inject some into the flat. I use the beef injection from angus and oink which I've found is great quality and I get about 4 full packets out of one bag,I think it's about £8. A bit of a tip if you're going to inject,do it on a chopping board so you can transport it to the bbq without the injection shooting all over the place when you pick it up.

I prefer to cook my brisket fat side down when smoking it on my pro q as the fat tends to protect the meat from the rising heat,I read somewhere that if cooking on a bullet smoker do it fat side down. When it hits the stall I wrap in foil and put it fat side up so the juices pool around the meat allowing it to suck them up. When its probe tender usually about 203 I wrap it in a towel and put it into a cooler, my 'cooler box'is a polystyrene box that I had a brisket delivered in and I've just wrapped gaffer tape around to strengthen it and let it rest for at least 4 hours ( I usually cook mine till the early hours of the morning and rest the meat while I'm in bed)

Hope this helps as I say my experience is limited and I'm sure theres people on here with a lot more experience than myself who may disagree but it works for me.

20200430_091038.jpg

• Like 2