Chipotle Slaw

sotv

This slaw goes well with pulled pork in a brioche bun or a burger bun or just on the side of the plate with chicken or a rack of ribs,

Serves up to 8 people

1/2 White Cabbage Shredded
1/4 Red Cabbage Shredded
200g of Tinned Sweetcorn Drained
Grated zest of 1 lime
Juice of 2 Limes
Bunch of coriander leaves
150g Mayonnaise
25g of Chipotle Paste (Sainsburys do a good one)
Sea Salt and Fresh Black Pepper to Taste
150ml Sour Cream

*** 6 Confit Cloves Of Garlic (There are 2 options for this you can choose the easy way and buy the jars of garlic in oil and crush 6 of them, in a garlic press. But if you have the time doing your own is much better.

You need enough Olive oil to cover the garlic cloves in the pan. You first heat the oil up very gently on the hob. If you overheat the oil it will just fry the cloves and make them bitter and unedible. I place the very edge of the saucepan on the very edge of the flame (the majority of the pan is not over the flame at all). That is the only way I can keep the oil at a low enough temperature to do this on my gas cooker.  Once the oil is just warmed up and a few bubbles are showing in the pan add the garlic cloves. After about 45 minutes to an hour they will be cooked, super soft and you can literally crush them between your thumb and finger.

I usually do about 3 garlic bulbs at once and the cloves and oil left over I put in a sealed container in the fridge and it keeps for up to 2-3 months, so long as you keep them covered in oil at all times.(The oil will be garlic infused after all this time, when the cloves have been used up and it can be used for frying and imparts a lovely gentle garlic flavour to the meats or stir fries)

I always use a plastic spoon when removing them form the saucepan or container if kept in  the fridge. As metal spoons can cause possible contamination to the bulbs in the long run. Same with any pickled jarred product.

I sometimes add this as something different
150g Sundried Tomatoes (I use the ones out of jar and add a bit of the oil to the mix as well), but you could add pickled beetroot, red peppers whatever you fancy trying.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2