Buying a BBQ-smoker

Julija

Hi,

My husband finally agreed to buying a BBQ and I thought something that could be used to grill and smoke for the two of us would be perfect. I want something to cook for up to 4 people, something not too big and for a starter price, but that would not fall apart withing a year. Any help would be very appreciated.

The Weber’s are a very versatile bit of kit, Pro Q are very good for Low & Slow.

The Landmann & Dorado are very similar piece of kit, I can see it being good for direct cooking, (cooking direct above the fire sauce)

If you set your charcoal up on the left hand side and use the left hand lower vent to control air flow, which controls the temperature, then cook on the right hand side and also use the lid vent to control temperature it should work.

That's a much healthier budget. Do you see yourself doing more grilling or smoking? 

You could get yourself a Weber Mastertouch Premium, that will do both 

Or even a bullet smoker like a WSM or ProQ and buy a 57cm kettle BBQ from a supermarket for the grilling

and although no experience of them myself a UDS will do both of these things for you as well

Whatever you buy at your price range, you will have to factor in a seperate decent thermometer and probe as well possibly, as many inbuilt ones aren't up to the job even at this price range.

Hi

I am trying to decide from one of the options listed at the moment as well. Looking to get a bbq/smoker to cater for at least 8 people although it will usually be just 2 of us.

Probably looking to smoke and grill equally.

Have a budget of around 250 max 300. Was initially looking at the weber mastertouch but not hopeful it will come lower than 300. I am now looking at the weber kettle premium and the proq frontier. Would I still be able to snoke effecitvely in a Weber kettle premium? Also for the proq could anyone tell me how high it is? Might be a silly question but it looked a bit of an awkward height for grilling and couldn't find the exact height.

One other question I have is whether either would be likely to give off more smoke when grilling or smoking. We only have a small garden and have used a couple of crappy disposable bbqs so far which created so much smoke they might have bothered the neighbours.

Any advice gratefully received!

Hi, the frontier is about a 1m height. There was one site that had the measurements of all the elite smokers as a picture.

Also, I found mastertouch for about £279, or a bit more with a cover. Proq frontier for about £295. Or Proq set for cold or hot smoking for about £330, but it is out of stock temporarily. 

Thanks.

Does anyone know of the mastertouch offers much in the way of benefits over the weber premium kettle in terms of smoking?

The mastertouch description mentions a one touch smoking option but not sure how helpful this actually is? Other than that the main difference I can see is the inclusion of the sear grate with the mastertouch 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Mellik said:

Thanks.

Does anyone know of the mastertouch offers much in the way of benefits over the weber premium kettle in terms of smoking?

The mastertouch description mentions a one touch smoking option but not sure how helpful this actually is? Other than that the main difference I can see is the inclusion of the sear grate with the mastertouch 

Thanks

Always thought this was a useful guide to the difference between  all the Weber Kettle BBQ's