WSM here we go

ChrisH

So after two weeks of trawling the web virtually every min of the day I finally found a good deal on a 47cm WSM and have taken the plunge and getting it tomorrow.  Even better my meat order just arrived so the freezer is full and i can't wait to get started 😛😛.  What first ribs or pulled pork?? Whoop

• Like 2

I would go for the ribs first. They are very tasty and do not take as long as the PP. It would be good practice for you mastering the temperature control.

What kind of ribs did you get?

Seasoning is really only to remove any manufacturing surface residues that may be on the inside surfaces of BBQ/Smokers. All you need to do is fire it up and get it to a smoke roasting temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking in it for the first time. The WSM does not actually require seasoning as it is made of steel with a porcelain enamel finish inside and out. If you want to give it an initial seasoning burn it will not do it any harm.

• Like 1

Yes ribs, pulled pork is a long long cook.

What probes are you using?  You need some sort of monitoring so you know to tweak the airflow,  I find on ribs i get to about 220c and it sticks there with about 1/8th to 1/4 open, but it really depends on the wind strength an the sunshine on the wsm.

Some people go further and add a fan feed and automatic temp control by varying the speed of the fan automatically. 

You can also use it as cold smoker, even in the winter. for example I smoke salmon in the winter it for Christmas smoked salmon for example.

• Like 1

Thanks guys really helpful info.  I have a couple of baby back ribs to think I will give them a go first after having a play with the temp control.  I have a dual pro thermoprobe so will be able to monitor both the WSM and meat temp. 

On a side note, If anyone knows of anyone looking for a WSM 47cm the place I bought this one had two for sale so one left at £279.  Below link.  

https://www.westminsteroutdoorliving.com/product-category/all-collections/clear-accessories/

• Like 3

When I first got my WSM I didn't bother with a play about. I just threw on ribs and chicken and played with controls then. A nice baptism of fire😋. I only had a wired thermometer for the chicken and just cooked the ribs 3-2-1 so i didn't need to probe.  I  spent too much time looking so I wasn't cooking. Results where great and the GF was well fed that night. Since then I've learned how to play with the WSM and more importantly give it a good 10 mins to adjust before tweeking again. 

• Like 1

Yes, it needs 10 20 mins to adjust, I use pencil width on each vent at start so I have a reference point for adjustments, then tweak as appropriate from there,   Little adjustments can make a a lot of difference so making small taps on them  is best. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hoogl said:

I  spent too much time looking so I wasn't cooking. 

This is a very common mistake - we all did it when we first started to smoke. Trust the thermometer !!. Believe it or not the meat cooks much better when it is left alone in a closed smoker. 🕒🕓🕖:popcorn:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info and tips guys, much appreciated.  I spent an hour or so putting her together last night and ordered lots of different wood chunks to try out from the smoke wood shack so hopefully they will be here early next week.  I have only tried hickory and whiskey before so looking forward to testing the fruits and mixing and matching.  I have seen a few videos of people doing mods etc to their WSM's.  Would you recommend any in particular?  I presume the gasket sealing maybe or a better door as the weber one seems pretty flimsy? 

D31EE99D-4D48-4A61-AD57-8391385BA2FF_1_201_a.jpeg

DB8D1E15-8A8C-4921-A0FC-A2CD43313D7E_1_201_a.jpeg

6D01F072-2427-4C13-A078-70FF0B565B61_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I have seen a few videos of people doing mods etc to their WSM's.  Would you recommend any in particular?  I presume the gasket sealing maybe or a better door as the weber one seems pretty flimsy? 

Before you make any mods to it you should cook with it a few times - to see if you actually need any. Some sealing tape around the door is often good but see how will the door seals on its own before you do that - a little smoke being lost around the door isnt a major problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 6:29 AM, Wade said:

Before you make any mods to it you should cook with it a few times - to see if you actually need any.

I second this. Had my WSM a couple years and haven't felt the need to do any mods or seals. After a few smokes enough carbon has built up to keep temps stable. Though I do run mine in a wee shed to keep the wind of it. 

• Like 2