Fire Wood

SafferUK

So, this arrived today :) 100KG of South African Wood.. Just wondered how many of you use wood for BBQ`s ect rather than charcoal! I have not found a good hard wood that is easily available in the UK that results in good coals for a BBQ. 

Ill be doing a "Potjie" on the fire tonight as the temperature has dropped, but will be outside witha beer next to a fire :) Bliss!! 

FireWood1.jpg

FireWood.jpg

Edited by SafferUK
spelling mistake
  • Like 3

Nice, I've only used chunks/chips for flavour. use Coals for heat. I think in the WSM it's the preferred method But if I had a decent supply of wood I'd give it a bash. 

What kind of wood is it? Is it like an oak or other hardwood?

This is of interest to me, I recently built a large-ish offset "texan" style smoker based loosely on Aaron Franklins designs but with an insulated firebox that cooks solely on wood.

Ive got through 50KG of Kiln dried Ash on it so far from a local guy that has in all fairness been fine for Pork and beef so far, but Im really after getting some Oak in or close to Norwich. Seems its either an advertisement of "seasoned hardwood" or just plain Ash. I'd prefer to know what wood Im putting in to cook my meat rather than random lumps of hardwood. 

Any decent soruces for logs that can be ordered anyone knows of? Or trust someone to provide decent logs in the Anglia region?

Cheeky in progress pic attached.

MVIMG_20200322_174249.jpg

Edited by Nige
  • Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, hoogl said:

Nice, I've only used chunks/chips for flavour. use Coals for heat. I think in the WSM it's the preferred method But if I had a decent supply of wood I'd give it a bash. 

What kind of wood is it? Is it like an oak or other hardwood?

Apologies for the delay in responding... Just seen this now. 

Its from South Africa and called "Sekelbos" https://www.braaiwooduk.com/product/sekelbos-braai-wood/

Got it from here: https://www.braaiwooduk.com/

On 4/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, Nige said:

This is of interest to me, I recently built a large-ish offset "texan" style smoker based loosely on Aaron Franklins designs but with an insulated firebox that cooks solely on wood.

Ive got through 50KG of Kiln dried Ash on it so far from a local guy that has in all fairness been fine for Pork and beef so far, but Im really after getting some Oak in or close to Norwich. Seems its either an advertisement of "seasoned hardwood" or just plain Ash. I'd prefer to know what wood Im putting in to cook my meat rather than random lumps of hardwood. 

Any decent soruces for logs that can be ordered anyone knows of? Or trust someone to provide decent logs in the Anglia region?

Cheeky in progress pic attached.

MVIMG_20200322_174249.jpg

That is a very ugly thing of beauty!

I think most firewood suppliers will be able to tell a hardwood from a soft, but most won't sell different types of wood individually. Or at least don't see the value in it. The few that do seem to be able to charge a huge premium selling as dedicated 'smoking wood', anywhere from 4-10 pounds for a kilo. That's more than some meat costs!

So many general firewood suppliers will have cherry, maple, apple, beech and of course oak etc. and be selling it for 1/25th of the price above. 

• Haha 1

The guy I've found that only does Ash is in reydon by Southwold does 50kg for £25 which is very reasonable from what I've seen, and tbf I'm getting used to it.

I'm getting better at reducing the heat spike of a fresh log and managing the extra smoke it gives off with a little preheat and leaving the door open whilst it gets a lick on.

Would still very much like to find decent oak and beech though.

Another little glimpse of her with make up on.

IMG_20200426_094924.jpg

• Like 1