Where do Y'all get your meat?

Leggy

On 4/28/2020 at 9:30 AM, CrackWilliams said:

I've been using Tom Hixson and been very happy with the quality of his meat and the various cuts, he also has some very good deals on. If you sign up there's a ten quid discount on your first order and free delivery over £100. He recently had  some 2kg Argentine Ribeye (2.5kg was delivered) down to £50 from £100 - it was excellent.

I just ordered two Picanhas. At the moment only the normal ones, Wagyu Picanha later (when I mastered the cook).

Wagyu

homer05_100px.jpg

Edited by TrulySNAFU

42 minutes ago, TrulySNAFU said:

I just ordered two Picanhas. At the moment only the normal ones, Wagyu Picanha later (when I mastered the cook).

Wagyu

homer05_100px.jpg

I've done a wagyu picanha and a couple of wagyu tri tips,actually I think I've got one in the freezer. Definitely worth a bash. Delicious they were

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Do any of the above do a "proper" boston butt cut? I find that most of the cuts are cut on the 6th rib while i believe that boston butt is shorter?

I have tried in the past greatbritishmeat online and i think this is the proper cut and was actually cleaned up nicely although currently is not in stock

Sherwood do a huge 6kg Boston Butt, also recently bought a 4kg Butt from Hook'n'Block.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

Sherwood do a huge 6kg Boston Butt, also recently bought a 4kg Butt from Hook'n'Block.

The pieces that my local butcher has are also fairly large but they are not the square piece around the scapula and they go "beyond" that point probably because they are cut further out in the ribcage. So normally on the boston butt you can see the scapula from one end to the other, hence more square while on the butcher cut the piece is more elongated.

Maybe it's just me or the way i cook the pulled pork, but i find that extra meat a bit "dryer" than the square cut.  

The below probably can demonstrate better what i'm trying to describe.

Boston-Butt-Break.thumb.jpg.f8b13aaf43259b6eda3a461bb6fd3a68.jpg

Edited by Tomcat

On 4/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, Leggy said:

Hey Guys and Gals,

As above, where do you all get your meat from? I've been to butchers, meat vans and supermarkets mostly. But more recently I'm looking at ordering from Online. With this quarantine in place for the foreseeable and fortunately I'm still get paid, thinking of splashing out a bit.

Found a site (https://www.hooknblock.co.uk/) looks like they do more of the larger cuts and some other interesting things.

Sorry if this had been posted in the wrong place or asked before.

Cheers, Adam.

I can thoroughly recommend Blackface Meat https://www.blackface.co.uk/ if you want something a bit special (I'm currently waiting for a delivery of pork ribs on the bone for making bacon as I type this). For pre-made, the burgers and sausages are excellent (obviously the mince is the same thing if you want to make your own). The mutton is to die for and better than any lamb you've ever had. All the beef is excellent in flavour and responsibly sourced. Not the cheapest but fantastic quality and worth splashing out in my view.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also like picanha, it is really very delicious, but I never freeze it. I always cook when it is fresh. Definitely worth a bash. For real, the best meat is from grown elite  Red Angus embryos. I have been farming for many years and buy the best varieties of cattle for breeding and slaughter. The best meat is when you know and follow the conditions in which it grows cows and what the animal eats. So, you know for sure that there is no chemistry in it. I have repeatedly come across the fact that people poisoned themselves with meat from the store.

Edited by JessKing

• 1 month later...