First smoke...

Stevepiglet

After some trial and error and some advice from you lovely folks I'm now trying to smoke my first thing. 

Rock salt 

Bit of a cop-out I know but I don't want to waste any meat or cheese so thought it safest to do salt. 

I'm using Ash sawdust. Don't know if it'll be nice or not but I have to start somewhere. 

I'll let you know how it goes 

Dont worry Steve. You will be fine with the ash sawdust. I have used it several times - it gives a mild smoke flavour so you will be OK.

Did you buy it commercially or is it your own dust?

If commercial then that is great. If you made it yourself then just check that there is no chainsaw oil contaminating it.

When smoking the salt, spread it out to about 1/2 cm thick on a tray. Smoke for 4 or 5 hours (longer if possible), stiring it every hour. Once smoked, store it in an air-tight jar or a ziplock bag. It will last for a year or so if kept sealed.

It's some commercially produced ash that I've had laying about so attacked it with the mitre saw to make the dust. 

I've loads of cherry which has been cut with a chainsaw but I was going to either split it and use the mitre saw or maybe the lathe, so as long as I don't use the ends then I should be OK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevepiglet said:

I've loads of cherry which has been cut with a chainsaw but I was going to either split it and use the mitre saw or maybe the lathe, so as long as I don't use the ends then I should be OK. 

The easiest way to tell if it has chainsaw oil in it is to place a cupfull into a plastic bag and microwave it for about a minute. Open up the bag and smell. If you cannot smell oil then it will be fine to use.

• Like 1

Easiest way is to put it in a bowl or dish in the microways for 4-5 minutes on high. Stir it every minute. Beware though - it will make the house smell of hot sawdust.

Alternately you can put the tray in an oven at ~120 C. That takes a little longer though.

• Thanks 1