Kentucky Smoker - Worth Modding?

Guitarbloke

I've got a Kentucky Smoker which I picked up for £99 in a sale.

I haven't yet used it for smoking, only for some direct grilling, which seems fine.  But I understand that these things leak smoke like a good'un.

To those of you who have modded theirs - Is it worth the trouble of modding, or would I be better off getting something like a ProQ Elite or WSM and keeping the Kentucky just for grilling?

12 minutes ago, Guitarbloke said:

To those of you who have modded theirs - Is it worth the trouble of modding, or would I be better off getting something like a ProQ Elite or WSM and keeping the Kentucky just for grilling?

I have no wisdom to offer regarding the modding itself.

I was in a similar position. I have a large CharGriller that i use for grilling and was considering buying the side firebox to use it for smoking. In the end, I decided to keep it and add a Pro Q Frontier for smoking.

For me, it was the right choice. I have on more than one occasion wanted to do some grilling while the Pro Q is doing its thing. Any money i would have spent on adding the firebox and sealing leaks etc would have been investment in a less flexible solution. 

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I take it you have seen/read the Kentucy thread??  I do have one and it wasn't hard to mod it to keep the smoke inside, it works well as an offset.  When it was time for me to upgrade I went for the ProQ Frontier....if your lucky you may find a 10% off on the Pro Q until the end of this week??  or even a 15%??

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Thanks 1