Looks for a diy BBQ sauce

Bucksend

That doesn't include ketchup!

Anyone got a good recipe for a home made BBQ sauce, or even just  abase/foundation for a sauce to experiment with? Everything I find online seems to include tomato sauce, which is cheating, and half the reason I want to make my own is so I know whats in it.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Bucksend said:

That doesn't include ketchup!

Anyone got a good recipe for a home made BBQ sauce, or even just  abase/foundation for a sauce to experiment with? Everything I find online seems to include tomato sauce, which is cheating, and half the reason I want to make my own is so I know whats in it.

Thanks

?

Tomato Ketchup is a good product for Sauce Making, sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel?

Whats your reason for not wanting to use it?

Homemade Tomato Ketchup 

1. 6 lbs. tomatoes (about 12 large tomatoes, but see note below)
  2. 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  3. 3/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
  4. 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  5. 1/2 cup red wine vinegar.
  6. 1/2 cup cider vinegar.
  7. 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 
  8. 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  1. Preheat oven to 450 F.

2. Halve the tomatoes, drizzle some olive oil over them and roast them on a baking pan (or two) for 20 minutes or until they're soft and wrinkled looking but not burnt.

3. Let the tomatoes cool for a few minutes, and then transfer them to a blender or food processor and puree until they're smooth. You'll likely have to work in small batches.
    Tip: Use care when processing hot items in a blender as the hot steam can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the blending speed.

4. In a heavy-bottomed pot over a medium heat, warm the sugar, keeping it moving with a wooden spoon, for about a minute.

5. Add the onion and garlic, the pureed roasted tomatoes (and the canned crushed tomatoes, if you're using them). Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.

6. Add the three kinds of vinegar and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until reduced by two-thirds. The ketchup should be well thickened by now. Remove from heat and season to taste with the cayenne pepper.

7. Strain the ketchup through a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth and into a plastic container.

8. Cooling: Fill a large stockpot about halfway with a mixture of half ice, half water, and submerge the container in the ice bath to chill. The idea is for the ice-water level to come most of the way up the outside of the container, but don't let any water into the ketchup.

9. Stir the ketchup more or less constantly, until it the temperature reaches 70 F on an instant-read thermometer. Then remove the container from the ice bath, cover and transfer to the refrigerator where it will keep for about 10 days.

Just now, Smokin Monkey said:

Homemade Tomato Ketchup 

1. 6 lbs. tomatoes (about 12 large tomatoes, but see note below)
  2. 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  3. 3/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
  4. 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  5. 1/2 cup red wine vinegar.
  6. 1/2 cup cider vinegar.
  7. 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 
  8. 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Now that's a solution!