1st ever UDS build

Hi guys, any input/ideas/advice is more than welcome 

The story so far;

After doing lots & lots of reading & searching the internet, I decided on trying an old gas bottle as a fire basket, ( I think it may be too tall but easier to cut a bit more off than try & weld a bit more on & also may need more air holes but temps will tell) I just need to try & fabricate a charcoal grate now (was thinking maybe 6mm steel bar??)

I’ve also done a burn out on the drum tonight so depending on how it looks tomorrow when it cools down & time allowing I’ll start the clean up 😩

I’m pretty sure I’m going to have loads of questions to ask as I go along as this is a brand new hobby to me but looking forward to doing plenty of smoking,eating & drinking this summer 😄

Andy

A4155B9B-7BE9-4F9F-994B-6AB6E02C5B3E.jpeg

51D84223-5FB8-4EE8-9F47-9963D2BF9CF8.jpeg

BB60284F-67CD-4C46-8E0F-EBA6B595019D.jpeg

27463366-8AFD-479E-99D3-CF55A5E8006E.jpeg

AA948966-62B3-4FB3-BEAB-15FDEF615983.jpeg

B8BEDDE2-A869-4598-87D5-60FE922D5241.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I'm doing the same type of fire basket....I've got a couple of different sizes of gas bottles. In my mind, I would take about a 1/3rd off to lower it, that would lessen the weight of lifting it in & out.

What's your ideas on the plate with holes in photo 4?? I'm also thinking about a heat shield around my basket??. I'm going for a fan fitted to an air intake just as a backup, and to also help with temp control.

All the best with the build will be watching and keep the photos coming....I must get stuck back into mine ready for this season, just got to get this house move out the way at the end of this month.

Ice.  m0114.gif

Can see the idea around the plate with holes in, a type of heat deflector.

Is the bottom of the fire basket open? Or are you going to make the grate sit inside the basket allowing the ash to fall? If this is what you are going to do, I would drill same size holes in the bottom of the basket and fit a Ash Catcher Plate to the bottom. This way during long cooks the ash will not build up in the bottom and potentially put the coals out.

Similar to this, but with your Gas Bottle Basket.

D840427B-C965-48A4-B857-1B5FA283EFFE.thumb.jpeg.f45147b1f63cbfd206c77e338e97ea32.jpeg

I used an old Beer Barrel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Icefever said:

I'm doing the same type of fire basket....I've got a couple of different sizes of gas bottles. In my mind, I would take about a 1/3rd off to lower it, that would lessen the weight of lifting it in & out.

What's your ideas on the plate with holes in photo 4?? I'm also thinking about a heat shield around my basket??. I'm going for a fan fitted to an air intake just as a backup, and to also help with temp control.

All the best with the build will be watching and keep the photos coming....I must get stuck back into mine ready for this season, just got to get this house move out the way at the end of this month.

Ice.  m0114.gif

At the moment the idea of the plate (pizza pan) is as a heat deflector which will sit 3 or 4 inch above the charcoal, as this is my 1st attempt I think its going to be more trial & error & adapt as I go along, I'm also trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Andy

5 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Can see the idea around the plate with holes in, a type of heat deflector.

Is the bottom of the fire basket open? Or are you going to make the grate sit inside the basket allowing the ash to fall? If this is what you are going to do, I would drill same size holes in the bottom of the basket and fit a Ash Catcher Plate to the bottom. This way during long cooks the ash will not build up in the bottom and potentially put the coals out.

Similar to this, but with your Gas Bottle Basket.

D840427B-C965-48A4-B857-1B5FA283EFFE.thumb.jpeg.f45147b1f63cbfd206c77e338e97ea32.jpeg

I used an old Beer Barrel.

At the moment I've left the bottom in the gas bottle & I'd planned to have the charcoal grate sitting around 6" up so using the bottom as an ash catcher, but I think the catchment space is maybe too small for long cooks, loving the idea of the beer barrel! :thumb1:

Andy