Black Pepper For Meat Rubs

ALBBQ

Hello,

I have been using coarse ground pepper from the supermarket in the rubs so far but was hoping to find some 16 mesh black pepper, has anyone manager to find a source for this or does everyone just make do with what they can find here in the UK supermarkets ?

Also if anyone has experience with using both is there much difference in taste when cooked ? i feel like the coarse ground pepper from the supermarkets is way larger that then 16 mesh that everyone uses in america.

Thanks

I have always used black peppercorns from supermarkets and grind it fresh rather than the already ground stuff since there is a big difference in taste....but I never realised there was a difference beyond that.🤔

I will have a look into it though👍

Pretty sure the coarse ground stuff you can get here is much the same as 16 mesh. I've used Schwartz cracked black pepper with great success and the Kirkland brand, coarse ground black pepper has been recommended to me by a few people. They aren't as strong flavoured as fresh ground but definitely give a good peppery flavour.

Have always ground my own from peppercorns.  I grind my pepper for brisket 24 hours or so before I need, ala Aaron Franklyn and have been really pleased with the results. For other cooks & rubs just grind as I need it. Have thought about getting a pepper canon to save the twisting when doing a brisket.... Do like pepper to be fiery....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, U can do that again said:

I grind my pepper for brisket 24 hours or so before I need

Thats interesting, never heard of doing that....its looking like black pepper is a subject I have not paid enough attention to haha🤔👍

• Haha 1

First time I seen sichuan peppercorns I thought "ooh I will try them!". Grinded them up over some steak like I would with black peppercorns. At first I thought they were pretty good....then by the end of the steak my tongue had gone numb😝😝🤑🤑

I apply very sparingly since that haha👍

• 1 month later...

I'm another one for coarse ground Sichuan pepper for my rub. (SPOG). I find it less bitter, but it is a bit more fiery, so has to be used more sparingly.

Having used many different commercial rubs in the past I cannot see past SPOG. It's the basis of most of the commercial rubs out there. I've got a 1ltr Kilner jar of all leftover shop bought rubs mixed together. I very rarely use it.

For my SPOG rub, if anyone is interested, is:

1. *Onion granules - 100g.

2. *Garlic granules - 100g.

3. Coarse Black or Sichuan pepper - 50g or 30g. 

4. Any of the Tony Chachere's Creole seasonings for the salt content - 25g. Add a little at a time to preferred taste. (I prefer the Spice 'n' Herb one).

*Make sure you buy onion/garlic granules and NOT the onion/garlic salt granules!!

Edit: If you like a bit of sweetness to your rub you can also add some fine molasses sugar.

Apologies of the thread drift. :S

Edited by OrbandBullet
  • Like 1