Gonna try my first pulled pork

negolien

Hey All,

So I work 5 12's and all holidays. I like cookin for holidays too, but it always falls on non-holidays as I' am always working. I been hearing everyone's doing butts and got jealous.  I got a $47 10 lb'er in the freezer Safeway sent me in replacement for my .87 a lb one I was supposed to get a few months ago O.o lol. 

I was wondering what I could do besides pulled pork with the shoulder. I found carnitas and huevos rancheros are good recipes for pulled pork along with pulled pork tacos. So, gonna do my first one ever starting Thursday morning.

I' am using Susie's carnitas recipe. I will link below hope it's ok. I' am also gonna throw some homemade baked beans under it while it cooks. Any thoughts? Gonna be ojn my gravity 560. I might add some apple sauce and apple cider vinegar to braise. 

4 cans pintos
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup baby rays sweet and spicy bbq sauce
1 yellow onion
2 jalapenos
little apple cider vinegar
little apple juice
1/3 cup granulated honey
Maybe some bacon I mean who doesn't like bacon

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pork-carnitas/#recipe

• Like 2

Sounds like a nice cook, I'd be interested to see pics/how it went. The only thing I would change is the bacon I prefer a loin cut as opposed to belly / loin & back but all will be great in a dish like this. 

I do like watching some of the stuff on HGH. I've used a couple of their recipes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, negolien said:

I will post the cook like I did with the short ribs. Still on the fence with the bacon it's 6-8 dollars for decent bacon here :<(

Ouch. How much bacon do you get for that? Might be time to make your own. 

16 hours ago, hoogl said:

Ouch. How much bacon do you get for that? Might be time to make your own. 

My food prices are from safeway we get our food delivered. That's 10 oz of good Hemplers center cut thick sliced applewood smoked bacon. Regular oscar mayers is like $5 to $11 a lb. Unless I get the buy one get one free or a deal I don't get bacon anymore. I haven't had a steak in like two years LOL Rib eye is like $20 a lb at safeway. I been surviving on 5 lb bags of pork and chicken from wildforks. Food prices make baby jesus sad

Edited by negolien

I think that is similar prices to us, 10oz is about 280g,  most bacon here is similar weight and between £2-3ish. So about the same (not including the exchange rate) for 16oz/1lb/454g of bacon. Though there's more meat on ours as it's not usually belly. My GF like to get Turkey bacon but I've never been a fan. 

• Like 1

I got the meat prepped and in the fridge, Bean ingredients are cut up gonna put some smokes sausage in em. Macaroni salads already done. Gonna start about 6pm pacific. I think I am gonna try a foil bot instead of a full wrap to try and keep my bark. Thin untrimmed fat cap so gonna go fat side down upper left of my mbgf 560

• Like 2