Smoking low and slow with heat beads

Dave

So tonight I’m doing my first overnight smoke, two pork shoulders which will hopefully be ready for pulling tomorrow morning. To try and maintain temperature I’m going to have a stab at using heat beads as I don’t get on with lumpwood on long cooks. 

So, the question is, how many for a 10-12 hour smoke? Both lit and unlit. And is it better to use the snake method?  

Cheers

Cool, I have a 47cm WSM.  I have used heat beads in the past and they are great (just a little expensive for my taste tbh).  I've never done anything more than dump briquettes in the basket and light using the minion method.  Heat beads run a little hotter than normal briquettes by all accounts so I'd probably light 20-25 to start with.

Hope your cook goes well, how big are the shoulders?  My last shoulder cook was 4kg and I had to finish it off in the oven after 18 hours as I ran out of time.  20 hours would have been about right I think (at 110c unwrapped).

If you are planning on an over-nighter then it would be best to use the whole basket. Once the temperature has stabilised it will remain stable for several hours but you will need to check it just before going to sleep and set your alarm quite early to check it again in the morning. 

1510697693_NewtrayMinion2.thumb.jpg.69db2b095287203474b9e962138a6ff6.jpg 

Don't forget to add your wood chunks or pellets for flavour

889813611_ProQMinion.thumb.jpg.dcb220e24b1f2173c491fa6cd19f7a84.jpg

Any of the Heat Beads that are not fully burned at the end of the smoke can be re-used next time.

Thanks all. I have a bag and a quarter so will just fill it and light a mini chimney full to start with. I was just worried that might be too many. It’s two separate shoulders weighing 2.5kg each, don’t need it to serve up before 2pm so plenty of time to play with. Plus I can always do some chicken in the morning if it’s still going strong. 

I know that it is too late for your 2 pm deadline tomorrow but here is some advice for the next time... Cook your pulled pork a day or so in advance and then pull and chill it overnight. The day you serve it just warm it up (wrapped in foil) until it gets to 74C and then serve. The pulled pork flavours intensify when it is allowed to cool and re-heat.

Another tip for pulled pork - Next time you do some full racks of ribs save the juice that is in the foil and also any meat from the trimmings once you have trimmed the rack to size and then cooked it. When you pull the pork, add the cooked rib trimmings and use the juices from the ribs as a jus. This adds serious depth and layers of flavour to the pulled pork.

Thanks again. I’ve got a small shoulder on there now so will pull that and reheat it tomorrow to go alongside the other stuff. Temperature maintenance overnight is my only concern as it’s been a bit colder at night this week but at least I have enough beads for it. 

Thanks. Pretty much all set now then. Does this look ok? There’s 20 in the chimney which will be lit, assume I just plonk them straight in the middle?  Obviously I’ll add the chunks as well but they’re soaking at the moment. 

DEE2688B-8D32-4E54-9BA6-1528D70635C9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Also, the shoulders are being done from frozen so I assume it can’t actually be reheated?

Providing you have processed food that has previously been frozen it in a way that provides antibacterial protection (e.g.cooking) you can then freeze it again. 

34 minutes ago, Dave said:

Thanks. Pretty much all set now then. Does this look ok? There’s 20 in the chimney which will be lit, assume I just plonk them straight in the middle?  Obviously I’ll add the chunks as well but they’re soaking at the moment. 

DEE2688B-8D32-4E54-9BA6-1528D70635C9.jpeg

Make a well in the centre first and place the lit coals in the middle. What you are trying to achieve is a slow radial burn outwards from the centre.

1082642674_Basketwithcan.thumb.jpg.1f87a85ce5348a84da1ddd5434a95b7f.jpg16812321_Basketwithhole.thumb.jpg.9cd5e76ccbf6c122db6b590d52013eaf.jpg1796700063_ProQMinion.thumb.jpg.ff860f5ca6cb70a3b6483143869a8c21.jpg

So despite twice sleeping through the alarm (one of these cooked to 235f) they actually came out pretty good and there’s still enough heat to do a couple of slices loins. 

Cheers for the advice. 

5C6B2EBE-C019-40C0-A8C7-B1EB6F67E0E8.jpeg

• Thanks 3