Hi from Slough

flashmore

Hello everyone, just joined after receiving a business card for this place with some cherry wood chunks I ordered online.

I started smoking stuff on my gas grill last year but its not the best piece of kit and it uses a lot of fuel. I want something a bit more 'authentic', so I'm currently in the process of building myself a UDS - holes are drilled and drum was painted this morning so once that's dried I'll get the other pieces attached. Will add some pics once its done.

Hi Flashmore and welcome to the forum.

A lot of people start smoking in the same way and then progress on to more purpose built smokers. You can get good results using a gas BBQ but as you found it can be quite inefficient and many gas BBQs are actually less controllable at the lower smoking temperatures than wood/charcoal smokers.

The bullet type smoker (including UDS) are a great option in a confined space like a back garden. They offer a good balance between cooking great food but in quantities that are appropriate for family style gatherings. Please keep us updated with your progress. We love pictures here :thumb1:

Hi Kev, I say Slough but I'm actually closer to Colnbrook and Langley - a couple of minutes away from the old Honda roundabout.

UDS build is done for now. Couple of bits I still need to do but I'm impatient and wanted to use it this weekend! Some kind of bracket needs to be attached to sit my maverick ET-733 transmitter on, and the lid needs a handle. But lifting it by the exhausts will do for the weekend. 

Seasoned it yesterday and today I've got 4 racks of baby backs on it and its sitting nicely at 110c.

• Like 1