New member, with some experience, from Chelmsford, Essex

RobinJ

Hi,

Brilliant source of information thank you - I encountered this group when searching 'Cold smoking UK summer'. 

I have been around grills, or Braai's as I know them, most of my life. Presently I have a ProQ Excel, Weber 3 burner Gas, a 57cm Weber Kettle and my Bindoor (home made tandoor in a bin!). Presently I am seriously considering purchasing an Uuni pro 16 but must first get the wife across the line on that one.

A few summers ago I set up a lean to roof and paved area under it so I could continue to cook on the fire well into the wet winter months without having to balance an umbrella while cooking.

I look forward to browsing the forums and seeing what you are all doing and posting from time to time.

Cheers

Robin

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum

It looks as if you have a good range of BBQ/Smokers there and you are set to tackle anything. Tell your wife that I have said a pizza oven is the only thing missing from her life and it will make her life complete :lurk:

Cold smoking and curing at home is something that we are here to promote. It isn't rocket science and we hope to demystify the process and give people the confidence to try. What are you looking to cold smoke? A lot start with cheese, salt and veg. Are you looking at curing/smoking things like salmon, bacon, charcuterie  etc.?

Wade

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Tell your wife that I have said

Ha Ha , Hopefully I won't have to roll in the big guns!

1 hour ago, Wade said:

charcuterie

Being honest here, I had to look this up. WOW! that is definitely something I plan to do in time.

To start I will smoke the trout I hopefully will be catching this weekend. Cheeses are a definite yes. I have messed around with bacon in the past but I committed the offence of hot smoking that 🤷‍♂️. The salt and veg are interesting ideas, particularly the veg - I'll search the forum for some ideas on that.

Cheers

Robin

Welcome mate, nice set up. I might have to pop round and see, I am only in Braintree.

Obviously I would come with a observation on how do you make your pizzas.

I do not make bacon anymore (personal choice) but I have done , same with smoked cheeses,, dabbled with charcuterie and  I still do smoked salmon now and again, especially in the winter. I blame Wade! Lol.

Be thankful Wade did not mention Sous Vide.  I just did.

Tailgates back next year and the Anglia South East one will be  the first 

Edited by Justin

Hey Justin,

a meet-up would may well happen who knows. I have had a vague look at Sous Vide but it stopped there. Pizza making will be a while off and no doubt I will post a bit of updates once it gets going.

I'll have a look at Tailgates, may try to make it too.

Cheers