Newbie ( 'though in sunset years....a half glass can always be refilled)

Garland

I have become fascinated by general charcuterie and especially out door smoking (and curing) of the animal Kingdom. I look forward to sharing your advice and recipes as I pursue my adventures into this artisan way of cooking. Thanks for having me.

• Like 2

Hi Ice....well my better half bought me an upright basic smoker and my latest adventure was to cure and cold smoke a large fillet of trout. The smoking process was about 12 hours  and I was blown away by the results! Next project is salmon and some cured pork hocks and s in the future home bacon etc.. and take it from there. Next time I shall upload pics failures or otherwise..what are your  adventures?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Garland said:

Hi Ice......what are your  adventures?

Many & varied my friend...🤣 but back to bbq & smoking. I started curing our own bacon about 3 years, I smoke a lot of our bacon,  pancetta...I did knock up a cold smoke cabinet a while back so that I didn't have to use my ProQ bullet....

Over last weekend I did 5 large haddock fillets,  I make our sausages...looking to do some Polish one and then smoke them maybe this weekend??

Ice.

Hoping to cold smoke some 2 thick cod loins courtesy of my local fishmonger this weekend...how long do you ,brine wet or otherwise, your haddock for, and what brine recipe? And for how long prior to smoking? I expect to cold smoke for about 3 4 hours. These are about 3 inches thick, skin on and total weight about 1. Kilo.

Have tried sausage making. Disastrous!!!! Have quite an impressive looking sausage stainless steel vertical stuffer, but the waste is just not worth it. I mean the grind that has been left at the bottom of the barrel prior to injection tube. Also have an old offset that I use but really has seen it's days as it really now is quite fragile. I will take some pictures of my limited apparatus and upload. BYTW, I cold smoke with the pellet tube. Given up on the pro q as it continues to go out. The tube is absolutely brilliant! Got an 8 hour smoke just using oak dust! Onwards and upwards! Your advice and tips, from anyone much appreciated.

Garland

Ok Garland..my brine was 3/1...3 cups of water to 1 cup of kosher salt...along with a grind of black pepper & a good pinch of coriander.  Use whatever spice suit you...I didn' t weighed the fillets  ☹️....but for time wise ....brined for 20 mins as they were big fillets.

Smoke time was around 5 hours maybe a little longer I went by colour on the fish

I enjoy making our sausages. I do have a stuffer but I just add a slice of bread to take the last bit of meat out of the stuffer....I also do this trick when grinding the meat.

With a smoke gen you go with what fits you...I use the ProQ  CSG but I pop the dust in the microwave for 3 mins to make sure it's dry...that way I don't have any problems.

Ice.

• Like 1

Thank you my friend. Will follow your instructions...   faithfully. Will attempt to take before and after pix UK weather as allowing. Also have my porkocks in their cure for about 10 7- day period   ready for next endeavour.  I have ordered an open pork loin for some middle bacon endeavours. But one thing at s time!

Just s huge thank you for your contribution and advice!!!

Regards 

Garland

On 3/10/2021 at 9:05 AM, Garland said:

Hi Ice....well my better half bought me an upright basic smoker and my latest adventure was to cure and cold smoke a large fillet of trout. The smoking process was about 12 hours  and I was blown away by the results! Next project is salmon and some cured pork hocks and s in the future home bacon etc.. and take it from there. Next time I shall upload pics failures or otherwise..what are your  adventures?

Trout and salmon can be smoked in the same way and, as you found, can give very good results with relatively little effort. Just be a little careful about the amount of salt and how long it is in contact with the salmon/trout as it is easy for it to turn out too salty.

White fish (cod/haddock) need a different cure process to oily fish (salmon/trout). Ice's method for the cod is good so follow his advice. 5 hours is fine though there would be nothing wrong with leaving it in the smoker overnight - especially this time of year.