got my smoker today!

Tez

Hi Guys, i got my new smoker today, i think it is the updated version as it has different thermometer and fire bowl, also i notice this one has 2 vents in the lid as apposed to the single one, yet to build and test out, anyone know if the new thermometer is more accurate as i dont have a digital thermometer, i guess those are to come at a later date along with a probe for making sure meat is thoroughly cooked 🙂 

20200723_121316.jpg

20200723_121335.jpg

20200723_121411.jpg

20200723_121456.jpg

I have a thermapen mk4 digital thermometer which I find to be excellent, if you not bothered about the colour, they did have some reduced see link below and how easy it is to see in the draw....https://thermapen.co.uk/thermapen-offers previously used a Weber digital thermometer which worked well enough but is no comparison to the thermapen in terms of speed and ease of reading

also have a smoke https://thermapen.co.uk/18-bbq-barbecue-thermometers which has proved as good as the thermapen. Have had to expand the pre-drilled opening and get larger grommets which I managed to for free as samples👍 But that’s just my experience others no doubt have own preferences obviously budget is a consideration 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, U can do that again said:

I have a thermapen mk4 digital thermometer which I find to be excellent, if you not bothered about the colour, they did have some reduced see link below and how easy it is to see in the draw....https://thermapen.co.uk/thermapen-offers previously used a Weber digital thermometer which worked well enough but is no comparison to the thermapen in terms of speed and ease of reading

also have a smoke https://thermapen.co.uk/18-bbq-barbecue-thermometers which has proved as good as the thermapen. Have had to expand the pre-drilled opening and get larger grommets which I managed to for free as samples👍 But that’s just my experience others no doubt have own preferences obviously budget is a consideration 

image.jpg

was looking at this also but not sure do both probes (long and short one) measure inside temps ?

https://thermapen.co.uk/bbq-barbecue-thermometers/111-smoke-wireless-barbecue-thermometer.html

added pro thermopen to basket also 🙂

Looking good, practice runs now, sealing any leaks and seasoning, plenty of advice if you search the various categories.

long probe if for the item being cooked and gives internal temperature 

short probe mounts in clip above grate to give cooking temp

on my brisket before had the smoke was shooting for 225f as cooking temp +/-5f 

cooking the pulled pork temp advised alarms if out 225+\-, portable alarm worked indoors so don’t have to baby sit but usually do reading till alarm goes off

on mine can use the fire bowl as a kettle but also have a gasser for small quick cooks 

DDEBDF1D-C2E2-4A76-BA91-5A28745FE315.jpeg

3FA4D4AF-BC9F-4F36-ACE7-B21317AEE08F.jpeg

thanks, so the long probe can be stuck into the meat or joint say to check internal temperature of the meat from within the probe holes and short one for lower probe hole, but i guess both long and short probes tell internal cooking temperature of the smoker?

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for that, makes more sense now,.. i just ordered that SMOKE WIRELESS BARBECUE THERMOMETER  was so impressed with the reviews it got, just on with the curing process, the manual said put about 1kg of briquettes in the fire bowl and spray internal drum/grills with oil and so i did and had all vents open and seemed to not have enough caols to get higher temp, so added a few more and piled them up like a pyramid, seems to be better and stayed at around 170c probably get a lot hotter using the fire basket full of coals but hey was only curing it for the 1st time,  i see some people say not to use cheap briquettes, i bought some from the range so not sure the way to go on that one, even lumpwood/briquettes are topic of debate.

I used some gasket around the door aperture of my Callow as I found it used to leak quite a bit from there.

I also went with using a terracotta saucer in the water pan instead of water as I found this helped in maintaining a consistent temp.

thanks for the advice i may have to get some of that gasket stuff, i am going to do my 1st cook today so will see how the temps hold today,( the manual says for low n slow try maintain a heat of around 110-120c), just some shop bought marinated chicken wings/drumsticks along with some plain chicken breasts just to see the flavour difference with neutral meat.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:11 PM, U can do that again said:

How did the first cook go?

Hi, it went really good, both were tender and had nice smokey flavour to them so was impressed, going to do  coka cola chicken on Saturday as I bought me a stand to sit the chicken on, also gonna check out the new "smoke thermometer" so i can sit here with a nice cold one while keeping an eye on the temps 🙂 

also bought some fire tape to seal the door a bit better.

20200724_174419.jpg

20200724_174408.jpg

Edited by Tez
  • Like 2

turned out nice and moist, really impressed!, first time using the "smoke" thermometer and read up the cables dont like to be pinched between 2 hot surfaced so i cut a little nik into the lid just wide enough to hold the 2 cables.

20200801_200346.jpg

12 hours ago, Mikey B said:

Does your smoker not have the probe holes in the side?

Mikey B

Hi, yes it does but i had the beer can chicken on the top rack so the meat temp probe was below the rack (if using the probe holes) also the temperature probe fits loosely in the bottom probe hole and doesn't seem secure so i used the probe clip and sat that on the top rack next to the chicken.

8 hours ago, Tez said:

Hi, yes it does but i had the beer can chicken on the top rack so the meat temp probe was below the rack (if using the probe holes) also the temperature probe fits loosely in the bottom probe hole and doesn't seem secure so i used the probe clip and sat that on the top rack next to the chicken.

I usually run the cable for my probes through the holes and then clip them to which ever rack I need them on, my holes are pretty much level with each rack top and bottom

Mikey B

3 hours ago, Mikey B said:

I usually run the cable for my probes through the holes and then clip them to which ever rack I need them on, my holes are pretty much level with each rack top and bottom

Mikey B

Hi Mikey thinking about it does the 2 probes fully fit (whole of the probe) through the side probe holes so as to feed the wire inside the smoker to whatever rack you are using if that makes sense ,stupid as it sounds i didnt check to be honest!, i have the "smoke thermoworks" 

Edited by Tez

8 minutes ago, Tez said:

Hi Mikey thinking about it does the 2 probes fully fit (whole of the probe) through the side probe holes so as to feed the wire inside the smoker to whatever rack you are using if that makes sense ,stupid as it sounds i didnt check to be honest!, i have the "smoke thermoworks" 

I use an Inkbird with 4 probes, I can get the end that connects to the main unit through the probe hole from inside the smoker. I find that easier than trying to feed the actual probe through 👍

Mikey B