Kiln Dried Oak delivery

Tim E

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I never got on with oak one bit, I tried planks, flooring, cut chunks, split logs, saw dust, chips the lot I have tried it. Smells great mind

Burns out fast, and soaked to smoke I found over power my chicken, even half a tea spoon was too much. Guess in the end I just never liked it

Be interesting to follow this feed

7 hours ago, davew said:

Interesting, I never got on with oak one bit, I tried planks, flooring, cut chunks, split logs, saw dust, chips the lot I have tried it. Smells great mind

Burns out fast, and soaked to smoke I found over power my chicken, even half a tea spoon was too much. Guess in the end I just never liked it

Be interesting to follow this feed

I'm in full agreement with you here. I tried these logs on a couple of cooks, just couldn't get on with on with them at all.

I was previously cooking with birch, but looking at going back to back to just charcoal and chunks now.

4 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I'm in full agreement with you here. I tried these logs on a couple of cooks, just couldn't get on with on with them at all.

I was previously cooking with birch, but looking at going back to back to just charcoal and chunks now.

Hi Leggy

Yep its odd I just never got on with oak, in fact or wood. I tried pine which was ok ish  but went up like match sticks so impossible to cook on. 4x2 was better and very thick

Not for be, coals I am happy with

Yeah, I've stocked up on lumpwood for a cook tomorrow, got some apple chunks for smoking but I've now got a bag of Oak logs I'll be doing nothing with haha.

It's a shame, all these videos you watch rave about cooking with just wood. I've heard somewhere about kiln dried being too dry? And causing problems. Supposedly natural wood left to dry over a longer period is the way to go, guess it's easier of you live in Texas eh?!

1 minute ago, davew said:

Trees and not good in South London, and I would get a Police call if i hacked down a tree anywhere

Its a choice and each to their own, coals, wood, oak... there are no rules

Coals all the way here

Haha! That's true! I agree with each to their own. You just read/watch so much on the internet and people have so many different options/opinions.

Yeah, think I'll stick to coals myself for a while.

Hey all, I have used the kiln dried twice now, first time for 7 hours got through about 8 smaller pieces as the larger thicker pieces would not burn quick enough and I would lose temp. Second time was just a quick 2 hour, burgers, chicken thighs halloumi the usual BBQ stuff, I did I introduce a baffle and a water bath also this would have had some bearing on the performance of the wood and it was quite windy, it took a lot longer to get to temperature, but when it did it was far more static and I used probably 3 of the larger pieces spit in to 3 each. The family were happy overall with the outcome as was I. It may because I'm new to this sport but I am getting on fine in my blissful ignorance of not trying out other woods to any great success. I have enough wood to see me for at least the rest of the year I think. I suppose only time will tell! Looking forward to more experiments in the coming week on half term! 

IMG_20200525_174959.jpg

33 minutes ago, Tim E said:

I used probably 3 of the larger pieces spit in to 3 each. 

I wonder if that's where I went wrong. I was just sticking the logs on my fire bed, maybe I need to split my logs up?!

That's given me something to think about.

Glad you're having fun with it though Tim! 😁