Weber Kettle Rotisserie

Johnieboy

Hi everyone!

New here so I thought I would show by face by showing my newest toy and see if anyone else has used one: a rotisserie for th Kettle!

I usually stick to branded accessories but this time I went for a knock-off one off Amazon for half the price, and so far it seems to be spot on. Little bit of a loose fit on the lid, but nothing too major.

I've got a chicken on at the moment and I used my slow n sear basket for the coals. Next time I think I will use the weber baskets, one on each side of the chicken.

Has anyone ever tried doing this directly over the coals? Any other tips?

Cheers

John

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3626.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This looks awesome, and was what I came on here to ask about. I've seen these on a US website.

Was curious whether anyone knows if they're possible to get in the UK and if anyone has had any experience or success with them.

How did the chicken work out? Have you done anything else with it? I'd be interested in this for doing picanha.

15 hours ago, paul6057 said:

This looks awesome, and was what I came on here to ask about. I've seen these on a US website.

Was curious whether anyone knows if they're possible to get in the UK and if anyone has had any experience or success with them.

How did the chicken work out? Have you done anything else with it? I'd be interested in this for doing picanha.

It turned out really well! Things I learnt:

1. Use the two Weber baskets, one on each side of the chicken
  2. Ensure that the chicken is very securely skewered to the spit. As it cooks its shrinks and it came loose on my spit half way through
  3. Have the temperature high, 350f to 400f, to get a crispier skin
  4. Briquettes may work better than lumpwood due to longer, steadier burn

I haven't tried anything else yet, but I really want to try to do a homemade doner kebab on it. 

I think Pichanha would be awesome! Let me know if you try it.

Honestly I have no idea about the smokey mountain question. I think that so long as the temp is high enough it should be the same principal. The main reason to use the rotisserie is to get the chicken to baste itself in its own juices as it turns. I don't think you would need to be close to the coals so long as you can get the temperature around the chicken high enough. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I've never tried to get my WSM running at that high a temperature, as it's not really designed for that. Typically keep it around 110C which is around 230F, and I think much hotter for a longer period of time might be tough. Might have to but a kettle now too...

• 1 month later...

I have the same model and love it. Have cooked whole chicken, duck, chicken thighs (as KellyKebab), rolled pork joints, beef joints, pineapple, etc. Whilst I love using my other toys, for a quick, very moist and succulent cook that requires little oversight you cannot beat these things.

IMG-20200524-WA0000[1].jpeg

IMG-20200530-WA0000[1].jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 10:53 AM, paul6057 said:

I've never tried to get my WSM running at that high a temperature, as it's not really designed for that. Typically keep it around 110C which is around 230F, and I think much hotter for a longer period of time might be tough. Might have to but a kettle now too...

Yes kettle is the right tool for this, the wsm is for smoking at lower temps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Justin said:

I had one of these for longer than i can remember, still work perfect.  I use charcoal baskets either side on kettle. Lovely.  Also go a napolean kebab attachment to use with it, can do 8 kebabs on it

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/napoleon/napoleon-rotisserie-shish-kebab-wheel.asp

What a great idea! I didn't even think about seeing if other brands attachments could work with it. I suppose so long as the bar will fit in the motor then we are good to rock and roll?

Thanks for sharing!

• 6 months later...