Full Griddle Insert For Weber Genesis

sotv

Bought an Onlyfire Full Griddle Insert for my Weber Genesis 335, was originally looking at the Blackstone or especially the new Weber Slate but being tight on space if I was to get one & with no date for it to become available in the Uk and if it was to be £600+ I then decided that a full insert would be a more practical option on what is already a decent Gas BBQ, I own.

Originally looked at the either Weber's own Genesis Griddle insert or importing the Stanbroil Stainless Steel version, but after doing the research Stainless Steel needed a little bit to much care and attention for my liking. The Weber version looks good but only the Porcelain Enamelled version is available here, in the states they sell the same Carbon Steel griddle top that is on the Slate for the Genesis and is also Rust resistant. Unfortunately after contacting Weber Uk no plans to sell it in the UK.

In the end opted for the Onlyfire enamelled version £170 cheaper than Weber's  version and a bit of gamble as no reviews, I paid £99 can be had for less at time of posting with a promotion on. Arrived next day after ordering and it is a really solidly built bit of kit (12.5kg). Needed a good wash when it arrived, but no seasoning needed.

It heats up fast and was ready to cook on in just over 10 minutes, initially started with 1st burner on 2/3 thirds power and the other 2 on 1/3 power but was running to hot at 475F so turned all three dials to lowest setting  and it settled at 375F and remained at the temp for the whole cook with the lid open. I will be investigating dial settings (using 2 burners only etc) to see if I can get dual zone cooking with it over the coming weeks. 

For the price initial thoughts are well worth the money and if space is at premium, works well as a full size griddle if you have an exisiting Gas BBQ, cooks food well and cleaning up afterwards is a doddle

The negative things are can't use metal spatulas on it, so invested in the Pit Boss Ultimate Plancha Set very solid set of spatulas, scraper and non abrasive griddle cleaning pad. So that is another cost to consider. Would have liked a bigger drainage hole for cleaning up afterwards, but still got all the oil, food scrapings and dirty water after cleaning, down it.

They make full griddle inserts for all Weber gas grills Spirit 200, 300 and Genesis 300, 400 series as well as some generic sized ones for other makes of grill

Couple of photos if interested (the buttery hash browns were amazing) and looking to do a Fried rice next in the coming few days, will try to post some pics

IMG_1945.thumb.jpg.3a1df8d52d5e5df6d6d2e27be08c944d.jpg

IMG_1946.thumb.jpg.9b8ba9f6522dca98557815d1380d6829.jpg

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, U can do that again said:

Nice, looks good. Have half grate cast iron plancha for my Broil King gasser for tortillas etc works for me

Something I'm looking to do in the future as well, next on my list is a chicken fried rice on it though