Rescuing a tough brisket?

valve90210

Over the weekend I smoked a shoulder of lamb (which has turned out beautiful  - photos to come when I eat it in a couple of weeks)  and a bit of brisket.

The brisket looked ok, not massive but a reasonable piece of meat and certainly better than some I have smoked before. It took about 5 hours or so to cook and get to temp but having given it a good long rest I sliced it and gave it a try and have to say I was somewhat disappointed. It tastes nice but it's just a bit tougher than I'd like, none of that lovely fall apart crumbly sort of texture as you eat it.

I've vacuum packed it and stuck it in the freezer for now but was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve it? Once I've vacuum packed meat I normally reheat it in a water bath which works nicely, and I wondered if giving this brisket a longer and slower reheat than usual in the water bath might help improve the texture a little?  Any thoughts?

A couple of suggestions

You can cube it and then use it to make burnt ends. Steve will be able to share the recipe he used at Lincoln.

Slice it thinly across the grain and use as cold meat in salads and sandwiches. I often do this with left over brisket. Slicing it thinly results in slices that still have texture but are not tough.

It's aquite a small peice so I think the burnt ends might be quiite a lot of work for not a great deal of meat, so think I'll go for the thin slicing - might borrow my Mum's meat slicer so I can get some really nice thin slices.

I really must get myself a decent brisket from wilkes at some point now I feel a bit more confident with what I'm doing and don't mind spending a bit more money on decent meat as I'm fairly sure I'm not going to ruin it.

I remember you saying you get a slightly different cut from them for a brisket but I can't remember what it was called.

Well, considering my one plant started out as a very sad looking small stick with a couple of leaves when I got it in March and I neglected it  for at least a month, it actually came on really well and I've have 9 lovely big ripe chillies from it so I'm quite pleased.

It does make me wonder how my beloved 2 year old plant would have done this year had it not suddenly and completely out of the blue died on me last autumn.

Try sowing them in early January. Keep them warm (~25 C) and not too damp. An LED light box also helps them get a good early startonce they have germinated. I have used these successfully to get them going indoors when the nights are still long.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEDs14W-Hydroponics-Indoor-Greenhouse-Vegetable/dp/B01DTULMMC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1506519075&sr=8-5&keywords=hydroponics+led+lights

Funnily enough I was considering such methods (assuming it's just me in the house by then...which it still isn't at present...) I have stuck those lights on my wishlist!!

Planning on more scotch bonnets and probably some super chillies next year (I had super chillies a few years ago and even from just one plant got a bumper crop and I rather liked the taste and heat.

Another option though (and the one I must admit I did this year) is to buy the ready germinated plants. They come as 3/4 leaf seedlings and it takes away all the hassle of getting them to germinateover a month or so. Victoriana Nursery in Challock have a good selection and sell them for £1.95 each. Yes, a little more expensive each than buying them as packs of seeds but you never use all the seeds in a pack anyway and it is a lot less trouble.