Wood keeps catching fire

Wilf

Evening all hope ya well.... I've been playing with my pro Q and doing a fair bit of cooking since having it but I have stopped using wood. 

Reason being is it keeps catching fire. 

I set up my Pro Q cut 2 of the air ports shut and leave one open about a pencil width but the wood still bursts in to flames. 

I fill the Warter bowl and use the minion method for the coals and drop a chunk of wood on the edge so on the unlit coals. Bring up to temp and then drop the meat on, but every time the coals light up so does the wood. Even using wood chips wrapped in foil.. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do... I was under the impression that if there was heavy air flow the wood, would catch fire..but with the vents shut down this should prevent this. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 6:37 PM, Wilf said:

Evening all hope ya well.... I've been playing with my pro Q and doing a fair bit of cooking since having it but I have stopped using wood. 

Reason being is it keeps catching fire. 

I set up my Pro Q cut 2 of the air ports shut and leave one open about a pencil width but the wood still bursts in to flames. 

I fill the Warter bowl and use the minion method for the coals and drop a chunk of wood on the edge so on the unlit coals. Bring up to temp and then drop the meat on, but every time the coals light up so does the wood. Even using wood chips wrapped in foil.. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do... I was under the impression that if there was heavy air flow the wood, would catch fire..but with the vents shut down this should prevent this. 

Theory is great, it's the practice that's the difficult part 😁

Your right that the wood should only catch fire if there is enough oxygen/air. I've not had an issue with my wood chunks catching fire in my proq. I do occasionally on my Weber kettle. 

However, I've started burying my wood chunks at the bottom of the proq fuel basket, then pile the coals on top of them. Harry Soo uses that method and he knows a thing or two.

That way the positioning of the coals also reduce the oxygen around the chunks. I make sure the chunks are aligned with the vents as that tends to control the direction of the burn.