Smoke fanatic from Liverpool

YankeeDoodleSmoker

Hi all, been stuck so far this year with a cheap 47cm kettle from Tesco while I wait for the right deal to show up, and I've found it! A Louisiana Grills LG900 pellet grill.

I've had some great ribs, sausages and burgers on the kettle using BGE hickory chunks for smoke, but now I've found the right pellet smoker, it's on to bigger and better things!!! Can't get a steady temp in the kettle below 150° so everything is cooked in about an hour. 

Here's a little picture of some pork belly chunks I did not long ago. 

Hopefully soon I'll be sharing a lot more of my smoking goodness with you all!

MVIMG_20190606_202802.jpg

• Like 1

Are those the lil devils pellets? Are they any good? It's either those or the traeger hickory pellets I'm gonna be getting.... I'll probably be trying both...

Process for the pig candy... Remove skin from pork belly, cut into fat cubes (ish), coat in a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, hot smoked paprika, cumin, salt&pepper, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of msg. then cooked for 1.5 hours on the kettle, all over to one side with all the coals over to the other side with two chunks of hickory wood for smoke. Rotate them on the grill after 40 minutes so they have equal exposure to the heat.

Then in a foil tray add honey, brown sugar, and apple juice, mix till the sugar is dissolved, add the tray over the coals, add the pork pieces and boil down till it's a caramelised sweet sticky gooey mess.

Yep Lil Devils from Liverpool Wood Pellets. Last lot I got worked out £5 bag. Go down and collect, just call first to see if they've got stock in and mention you'll pay cash.

I get roughly 20hrs cooking per bag (added an insulating jacket so it's more efficient). In all honesty I've tried Treager and Cookshack and there was little difference to Lil Devils. If I need an extra boost I just use a pellet tube and BBQ'ers delight flavoured pellets. Works it much, much cheaper.

Will give the pork belly method a go caramelised anything is full of win 💪

• Like 1

It's a Yoder Jacket for the YS640. I had a trip to the US a couple of months back and smuggled it back in my hold luggage (the jacket not the smoker 😄)

But a welding blanket would do the job nicely. Just needs to go over the main chamber surface. Your LG900 looks easy to adapt it with a single panel and some U shaped clips under the lid. 

Edited by Tabs

Welcome to the forum! 

Sounds like we've had similar experiences - did a few cooks on my cheap kettle BBQ and so I recently upgraded to a Traeger Pro 575! It's a monster and I found a site where you can get decently-priced pellets so I'll shoot you a message. I'm having a lot of fun with it and am trying pulled pork for the first time this weekend. 

Looking forward to seeing your cooks! 

• Like 1

Excellent they're really good on price. 

Tip for storage by the way. Use sealed plastic containers to store any opened bags. Pellets will expand if any moisture is present and it severely effects their efficiency when you come to use them.

I decant my pellets into plastic buckets with sealed lids. Get roughly 2 buckets to a bag.

I was thinking of getting a big plastic pet food container for them, and I can just get a big scoop to shovel them into the hopper when I need. The container would be getting stored inside the house as well to keep them from getting any moisture exposure... 

Just one question though, what do you do with the pellets that are left in the hopper? How long can they be left in there between uses without causing any problems? I'll keep the really good cover on it of course.

Yep that should work just bear in mind it needs to be a good seal. I use food grade tubs my missus gets her cake icing delivered in.

Pellets left in the hopper are fine. They'll get burnt off first during the warm up cycle. If your feeder has the same facility as mine then you can prime the pot with a button, which continually feeds the pellets so you can flush the hopper through.

Granted though mine doesn't get left outside for long periods but it is covered.