New gass BBQ user UK

carl123uk

Just purchased a Napoleon lex

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Gas-Barbecues/Napoleon-LEX-4-Burner-Stainless-Steel-Gas-Barbecue-Side-Burner-Cover/p/348006

It doesn't come with the rotisserie kit. With it being an older model does anyone know which Napoleon kit will fit it or any aftermarket one people recommend?

Also anything else people recommend purchasing to add onto this grill? Thank you

1 hour ago, hoogl said:

Hi and welcome,

Is it also known as the lex 485? If so there's a rotisserie kit available for it. Though might be cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-shop/Napoleon-Prestige-LEX-485-Heavy-Duty--Rotisserie-Kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwpuajBhBpEiwA_Ztfhc932EShF2-2npyqIuUx4eunZwJXyBbrGIle6A_KM1m7gz8t9HYsHhoCQhUQAvD_BwE

That's brilliant. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't 100% sure of the model so I was going to check once it arrived

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 9:56 AM, hoogl said:

Looks good, Did you get a cover with it? A good way to spend a couple of hours :) 

Yeah it came with a cover.

Night and day compared to my cheap homebase 6 burner it's replaced

Just need to research wether to use a smoker tube or box with it.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:58 AM, carl123uk said:

Yeah it came with a cover.

Night and day compared to my cheap homebase 6 burner it's replaced

Just need to research wether to use a smoker tube or box with it.

I would definitely soak some wood chips and place them in a smoker box when using a gas grill.

Your new BBQ looks great.

Best Wishes

Kevin

Whether to soak chips before using is an interesting debate.

If I am using chips directly on hot coals I have found that when soaked they do tend to release the smoke over a slightly prolonged (though this is marginal) period if time. Soaking is more effective when using wood chunks directly on the coals as the outside of the wood will dry quickly and start to smoulder before the centre of the wood is dry enough to catch.

However when using chips in a gas BBQ I have found that soaking them first makes them less effective. In order to produce smoke the chips need to be smoldering and to do this in a smoke box/pack/tube they have to be fairly dry. Unless you are trying to impart a specific flavour e.g. by soaking in Jack Daniels (other whiskeys are available) then soaking the chips simply delays the time before the chips start to smoulder and produce any smoke. Unlike the example of using soaked wood chunks on direct coals, in a gas BBQ the heat onto the chips is indirect and is comparatively much gentler. In this case the temperature in the whole of the soaked mass of chips has a chance to increase to the point where the water starts to boil and so, as the outside chips dry out, they are then rehydrated by the steam/vapour coming from the soaked chips in the centre. This just increases the time before they can start to smoulder and generate smoke.

• 4 weeks later...