Pellet Storage

Brinkman

Can anybody tell me the best storage method for Pellets? I'm told not to leave them in a plastic bag they were packaged in, even unopened, but that makes no sense as they would or could potentially have been stored for months and months that way before I bought them! How about a metal or plastic dust bin in the garage? Or is it just another case of 'Oh you need this and we need your money and are more than happy to take it'?☺️

Edited by Brinkman

I leave mine in the plastic bag in a storage box with a tight fitting lid outside (all year round) and they are fine. Some of the more obscure flavours I have stored like this for a couple of years. Leaving them in the bag in a shed or garage would be fine too. Their mortal enemy is water - especially rain - but high levels of condensation are not good for them either. Let the rain get into a bag or leave them on damp ground (most of the bags do have small holes in them to let the pellets breathe) and they are history.

In the winter they can absorb moisture from the air and it can be enough for them to go out when used in a cold smoke generator. If this is the case then just place some of them in the microwave on high for a couple of minutes before putting in the smoke generator and they will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terrific Wade, It didn't make sense to me that if you stored them on racks in a dry garage they would be an issue but what do I know? I think the person passing on the advice was maybe a little too keen to impart advice on a subject that was above his pay grade.? I'll put them in the same bins I use for the hounds dry food, never had any issues there and certainly none from the hounds!?