Aldi smoker modifications already

Colin39

Ok so ive only had it 3 days, ive sealed all the holes, welds , sides smoke box and fire box lids fire box to smoke box........

I kept loosing temperature and discovered ash blocking the fire box, so ive raised the grate for airflow, made a charcoal fire box cut some stainless tuning plates and baffle board (found these for the oklahoma smoker) and copied.

IMG-20200628-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.56ddb42359b4e44cca2bea467dcc3f56.jpeg

IMG-20200628-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.d1d3cb6e53dae862387d8ba27156320a.jpeg

Lets see if these modifications help or hinder 🤞👍

Colin 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 6:12 PM, Colin39 said:

Ok so the mods helped and hindered, 

Helped:- ash/charcoal basket 👍

Baffles :- need a little mod, ill explain more once mod done🤞

i've found that the baffle reduces the pull thru .. so sealed the top put it at a 30 deg angle and put a few small holes in it .. but mine only runs 1/3 of the bbq.

where the cooking grates are i cut off the bit's that stick out the back and put bolts thru then sealed .. easier to clean .. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, flearider said:

i've found that the baffle reduces the pull thru .. so sealed the top put it at a 30 deg angle and put a few small holes in it .. but mine only runs 1/3 of the bbq.

where the cooking grates are i cut off the bit's that stick out the back and put bolts thru then sealed .. easier to clean .. 

Now thats a good idea, i like the idea of the angle too, but 30deg? Thats an awfull lot? I thought 5 maybe 10?

I thought the same regarding the baffle plates after my ribs test i did monday, cheep rack if ribs 1.99ish layed them the length to gauge heat across the grates. 

Ive now blocked the sides of the first plate as i as i was loosing all the heat at the start and burning the ribs at that end .

Gotta get it right as smoking a brisket Saturday 😫

Edited by Colin39