Brisket.

Craigcog

Morning all, I'm cooking my first brisket today ( Morrisons bought no fat cap 2.2kg) on my Aldi Kamado egg.

I've had this for two years now and my success are now outweighing my failures😊 but I've been scared of brisket. I've layered streaky bacon and butter to where the fat cap should be and set the cooking temp to 225f.  I'm looking to pull it off at around 190f do you think this should turn out ok? 

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Any pics? How did it turn out? My first smoke was brisket and short rib, the short rib was amazing, the brisket was a bit tough but nice if cut thin! Have since done brisket and it was better after I wrapped it towards the end to prevent drying out. Next time will be even better I'm sure! 

• Like 1

I've concluded with brisket, that if you're cooking the flat, then it's just not as good. It's still nice, but burnt ends with the brisket point are probably the most delicious thing that you can ever create on a barbecue.

I've often wondered what the supermarket chain brisket is like. I bought a random bit from Sainsburys a couple of months ago, which came rolled, so I didn't know what I was getting. That came in two pieces, and the end result was decent, but again, the flat was just naturally drier than the point, because of the lack of fat running through it. Was a bit of a lottery on the purchase though, as it could have been anything.

• Like 1

You can sometimes suss out which end it is by the weight and physical rolled size - too many spirals it'll be a flat. The fatter the appearance the more likely it is to be a point. Spent a good amount of time comparing a load once in Sainsbury's and the fat cap gave a good indication it was the point end too.

Haven't bought one for ages though.

Did once buy a UK bred packer from the local abbatoir. But the fat had been trimmed off which wasn't great and turned out quite dry.

Since taken to buying from T&G and Farmison. Costs more but you're guaranteed to get a proper cut. Special occasions only though!